icon

Where to get 12 volts?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JohnnyG 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2002 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  

I am installing a CS2011RS II in my Saab, and I would like to know if it matters where I get the power from. Everything says to simply get it from the battery, but would there be anything wrong with getting it off the big wire that supplies power to the ignition switch (which is in the center console and much easier to get to, I don't have to run anything through the firewall)? I figure that as long as I use a heavy guage wire, this should be all right, since its where the stock setup gets power to crank the starter, right? Please let me know what you experts think, because I want to do this right. Also, the CS unit has 2 wires to be connected to 12V. Is this so that I can hook one up to a backup battery? Thanks.

JohnnyG

rmn6 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2002 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  

I just installed a CS2011RS II in my BMW today. I connected the 2 Hot leads to the wire in the ignition switch harness just like you are thinking. My diagram actually said that was where they suggested. I looked up Saab on the database and depending on your year/model that is where they suggest you hook up. e-mail year and model and you can look it up also. The 2 12 volt power leads are because it needs both since it is both a alarm and remote starter. My install went well but it's allot of wires. I had one bug I am working on: when I remote start my brake and license warning light come on. Let me know how your install goes I'm curious. As far as installing a back-up battery there is a good post from Hi hot_shot_guy123 here is the link: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=14

JohnnyG 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2002 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  

rmf6,

Thanks, that makes me feel better. That is what I have done. Everything is installed and it works great. I don't know about your light flash problem, except that wherever you tapped into the parking lights flash must also light up the license plate and brake light. I made up a set of relays so that the light flash would activate the hazard warning switch, which I thought looks cooler than just putting the parking lights on. But I am going to go back and add the parking lights to the wire also, because just the flashers looks a little bare. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

Johnny G

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic