icon

Skinny amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
More specifically, low profile. This one will sit under my seat and replace an old ADS that had it's heatsink shaved. (95 Civic coupe. Under the pass seat is already spoken for for other electronics) Hopefully there's something someone here knows about that can conform to the following specifications:
<2" high
>4x35W
...and preferably under 15" in the long dimension.
I've been scouring the net for a week and a half now, but nothing has caught my eye, new or used.
FWIW, the rest of the system:
DEH-P930
custom processing
*new amp goes here*
MTX 500D
Infinity Kappa components in the doors
10W6 in the trunk
Thanks
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
Check on the Concept HP65.4 and some of the Memphis amps might be fairly small as well (at least they used to be).
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
chucksnee 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
WOW 2 inches? In depth?
May have to find something and shave the heat sink again?
Been around a while a that is probally why they shaved it in the first place.
Buy an amp you like and get the grinder out!
dpaton 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:
Check on the Concept HP65.4
Link? Neither I nor Google seem to know of what you speak. I found lots of Coustic speakers, but no amps...
No joy with Memphis' current lineup. They're just a hair too tall. I really don't want to mill a brand new amp. Warranty and all that.
chucksnee wrote:
WOW 2 inches? In depth?
Yup. Honda didn't leave a lot of room under the seat pan for me. I have about 2" total, not including the carpet. In reality it's closer to 1 3/4".
chucksnee wrote:
Been around a while a that is probally why they shaved it in the first place.
Actually I shaved the ADS, while I had it apart, replacing every damn output device when it got fried. I took about 3/8" off the top. Now it's toast again, and I'm done with it. I bought it factory reconditioned, but should have left it at the shop.
-dave
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
How about getting a pair of xtant amps. They make a little mono block that is 100 watts rms at 4 ohms and was designed for people who want to do a 5 channel systema nd want to hide the amps in the panels and what not. They are super small and even if they wont fit under the drivers side seat I am almost positive they could fit in behind the glove box or under the center console. They sound really good too.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
dpaton 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
I looked at the Xtant 1.1i initially, and I'm still interested in it, but I have some suspicions about the design.
I've designed some high frequency class D stuff, and I'm a little bit leery about using them for full range applications. I've never been impressed with the slew rate, THD, and most importantly IMD of class D amps, and with the limitations inherant in the topology, I need to hear one before I'll lay down the cash for 4 of them.
The THD specification on the 1.1i (<1%) also scares me, despite the reviewers claims of a 105dB SN ratio and tested THDs below 0.7%. I can hear 0.5% easily on a good pair of speakers, and I really don't want to pay a couple of hundred a channel for something that will drive me nuts with distortion. I'd also really love to see a spectral THD plot and sime TIM/IMD measurements before I pay for a demo unit (since no dealer in their right mind would let me take it home and bench it without running my credit card).
That said, is there anyone in the suburbs of Chicago that will let me put one on my bench for an afternoon?
<crickets>
Thought so.
-dave
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

www.conceptconcept.com

I am not sure if the new HP series of amps is on the site, let me go and measure one

<frogs>

<cougar attacking sheep>

<shotgun>

<crickets>

<shotgun again>

This exact amp is 2" high x 15" long x 6 7/8" wide. I'll be using it myself.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dpaton 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:
This exact amp is 2" high x 15" long x 6 7/8" wide. I'll be using it myself.

I'll measure again, but I think my limit with the seat pan and the seat belt sensor cable is 1 3/4". I might end up hiding the as-yet-undetermined amp behind the left rear interior panel. Grr.
-dave
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
Can you raise your seat a half inch??  Iv done it before to customers car, , , , , and they never even noticed it did it... muhaha
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
dpaton 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine Guy wrote:
Can you raise your seat a half inch??  Iv done it before to customers car, , , , , and they never even noticed it did it... muhaha
I wish. I'm 6'4", and I have less than an inch to the roof as it is (silly moonroof flanges...). Plus, 3 of the 4 seat bolts run laterally into raised cleats, so raising the seat would require welding the holes and redrilling and retapping the risers. Not the kind fo major work I want to do to put an amp in.
At this point, it's looking like I'll either rebuild the ADS again, find someone to demo those Xtants for me, or just sit down and build something, and limp along with the head unit until it's done. I suppose I could hide it behind an interior body panel in the rear seat (drivers side), btu I'm worried about heat.
Sometimes I wish I could just drop it in the trunk, but I'm way too much of an engineer to let that fly Skinny amp? -- posted image.
-dave
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic