the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Skinny amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
...because it's too easy?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
...because it's too easy?
Because it's neither clean nor stealth. I'm the guy who spent 4 days integrating my speaker wires into the factory harnesses to the doors. My friends say I'm too anal for my own good, but it just feels nice knowing my version could have come from the factory.
I'm in the process of trying to design some kind of cool FG box to replace the JL stealthbox inhabiting the trunk. Plus, I think I can do a helluva lot better in terms of boom per watt. Simulation is hard bcause the volume is still indeterminate, but once I have something concrete I'll share.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
beyma guy 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
clif design makes a amp that is a kick ass 4 channel but it might be a little big for you it is 2.1 inches tall 10 inches wide and 16.5 inches long but is does 100 watts rms @ 4 ohms x4 model number is cd4.4lx
my system
4 beyma ast05 tweeters
4 beyma w6 mid drivers
2 beyma nd 105 mid drivers
2 clif design competion 12subs
2 cd1.1lx amps
2 cd4.4lx amps
1 cd5.2lx amp
hu is a pioneer dehp8500 mp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
Memphis MC2004.  50 wrms X 4 into 4 ohms with 0.03% THD.  Size is 6.5" X 11.8" X 2".  A nice clean 4-channel amp that runs fairly cool.
Support the12volt.com
dpaton 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
Warning: long rambling post ahead.
I did some soul searching last night while sitting in my mostly-gutted interior, and I've come up with two possibilities:
A. I'll miraculously find a way to get either the Xtant 1.1i's or something else under 1.75" tall, within my budget, and be happy with the sound.
or
B. I'll find an amp, any amp that tickles my fancy, and stick it behind the one interior panel that doesn't hide something already.
As has been noted already, A is unlikely. I may bite the bullet and order one off of CarDomain with the intention of abusing the return policy if I don't like it, but I'm not a real fan of laying out $300 for something I may or may not like, where the like result requires me to spend abother $900 to make my system go. On top of that, I really don't think my little Infinity tweeters need a 100W amplifier behind them. I can see getting 2 for the 6.5s and use a little 30W class A/B amp on the tweets if I was feeling masochistic, but that seems like overkill for a guy who isn't competing, and can't I find a 50x4 or soemthing that's little enough? With the amazing things they've done for amps in other markets, I'm kind of suprised at the stagnant nature of the mobile market.
This post marks (roughly) the 2nd and a half week I've been scouring spec sheets, websites, and eBay looking for a thin amp, and I'm getting a little discouraged. It seems that the industry has decided that 2" is just fine for "low profile" and aside from a few rabblerousers there just ain't nothin skinnier. Which is pushing me harder and harder toward B, even though it means wiring will need to be moved around, and there will be resin and bondo and 1oz cloth in my future, not to mention the purchase of a nice, clean, 4ch amp that just happens to have gobs of clean headroom.
I suppose I could fall back on the unwritten C: build an amp, since nothing in the market seems to satisfy my need, but that's a large proposition, since none of the power supply designs I've got have the power density required. Plus, that means 6 or 8 months of development time where I have no amp for the fronts at all, and that's just no fun.
Thanks for letting me roll this stuff around a little, run-on sentences and all. Decisions decisions...
-dave
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
maybe look at lightning audio....iknow they used to be under 2".......
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
The old alpine amps when they were black were dam skinny.  Imo there better than todays amps.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
most of the old amps are better than todays amps imo
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
Harrison Labs is well known for really small amps. I had a friend who had one that put out 800 watts and it was half the size of my 400 watt amp. This thing was tiny. He told me they won an award for the worlds smallest amp/to power ratio or something like that, i dont know if thats accurate, but i do know it was tiny. It would work for your application.
It is better to remain queit and have others think u are dumb, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
dpaton 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Current lightning stuff is all 2+", as seems to be the case everywhere.
By old Alpines, do you mean the 3500 series? Because those were all 2.125" amps. I used to have several.
Harrison amps have very good power density, but at 3" in the small dimension, they're right out of the competition.
With the assistance of a friend tonight, I managed to locate the replacement parts for repairing my ADS PH15, as well as devise a system to hide the amp in the trunk without compromising the plans I have for it in the future, so at this point I'm looking squarely at option B, which seems to suit me just fine. A little fiberglass and some bondo and it'll be all set and ready to go. Should only take a weekend or two more. Yay Skinny amp? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Thanks for the help guys.
-dave
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic