icon

running 2 amps and spare battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jweber 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

i was wondering what it would take to run 2 amplifiers and would i just splice the output lines into the existing ones on my deck. 

Also i was wondering what it would all take to run a second battery so i could have more power and have it close to my subs and amps.

also what would be the benifits of adding a capacitor to my system

thanks

jweber

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

Get the second amp with output jacks, and you'll use RCA's to connect it to the other amp.  No splicing of wires.  There will be a full range signal to both amps.  Post your car & year, system makes and models to get the proper recommendations of your car's necessary power upgrades.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
And adding a second battery and cap may not be a solid idea, you still have to charge those babies.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
If you are gonna get a second battery and cap, then put the cap under the hood or right near the firewall inside the vehicle and then the second battery in the trunk. By doing this it stabilizes the voltage running through the system, kinda like using a line driver on the preamp lines.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
A second battery will only help for playing your system without the car running. It wont necessarily give you more power when the car is actually running.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
Adding a second battery to a audio system isn't as simple as most people would have you believe. To do it safely and properly you need the proper equipment. Unless you plan to play your system for long periods with the engine off, don't bother. Adding a capacitor would be a better idea. Your stereo system gets all its power from the alternator when the engine is running. The battery's job is only to supply the starter motor with enough current to start the engine. After that the battery becomes a load on the alt. as it recharges. The battery will also filter and regulate the power to the car and act as a reserve under high load conditions (everything on at idle0.   The battery is a capacitor, but it is designed to provide a huge amount of current over a few seconds. A audio capacitor is designed to discharge a large burst of current instantaneously to an amplifier. Amps require these bursts for low and loud bass notes. The cap should be mounted as close to amp as possible with the proper size cables to coduct the current effeciently. Get a one Farad capacitor for every 1,000 watts of amp power. As music is dynamic your amps won't always requuire huge amounts of current all the time. Adding a cap will help your amps with their ability to deliver great bass. As for your signal lines, you can purchase "Y" adaptors that properly split an RCA signal into to lines. Make sure you get the correct ones as they come in two forms. Two males to one female or Two females to one male.
sparky
jc18750 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
definately get a cap. dont put it by the firewall, that's pointless. the caps gain would be lost to the distance. put it as close to the amp as you can get it. if you want a second battery, that helps. but you need to get a battery isolater. or the batteries will draw off of each other and you will always have 2 dead batteries. i have a 1600 watt amp 1200rms MOSFET and i use all of it off of a stock alternator and a 1 farad cap. even when turned all of the way up, my headlights don't dim.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic