the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1994 Chevrolet Lumina Van stereo harnesses?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mob.dynam.grad 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  

Hey,

Just wondering if there are any harnesses needed for a 1994 Chevrolet Lumina Van.  I am looking at installing a CD player in one and i just wanna know if its a DIN size OEM head unit or if i'll need a kit.  And if there are any harnesses involved or if its just straight forward install.  Thanks

callmeraven 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
Luminas (as most GM vehicles are) are din and a half... you'll need the dash kit (any GM multikit will do), GM harness (GM02B if you go by scosche numbers, I forget the Metra number), and the GM6 antenna adapter.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Metra 70-1858, 99-4500 and 40-GM10 available at fine car audio shops nationwide
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
mob.dynam.grad 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
Another question i'm wondering is about the harnesses.  WIth the head unit...will come a harness that will plug into the head unit and have wires hanging losely off the back... where would the harness go? Would i need to solder directly into the harness??
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
You will need to solder the wires hanging off the harness on the back of the deck to the wires going into the metra plug, then it will plug back into the factory harness conector
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
mob.dynam.grad 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
wouldn't i just be albe to cut off the factory wires from that connector instead of buying the aftermarket connector....like solder the wires off the head unit directly to the OEM wires after cutting off hte plug??
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
You can but I see that you are a mobile dynamics install grad, they should have taught you to avoid cutting factory wires when at all possible, if not the welcome to the real world of install. You should always use a harness when possible as it can eliminate alot of unwanted problems later on. Anyone you talk to who has said that they cut there harness off to put a deck in will say they regret it now, at least anyone who does their own work. And if you say its someone elses car than lesson two is you should treat each car as though its your own and should make recomendations based the same way. Up in Canada it costs my customers 15 bucks for a harness and I have never had a single one complain about spending that money in the 2 1/2 years I have been installing, nor in the 2 1/2 years I spent selling. Save the asprin and buy the harness. 
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 4:25 AM / IP Logged  
Well put 'Rav'.  Mob, spend the money, buy the harness.  It takes the guess work out of the install and saves you from the Tylenol.  You won't have to have your Head unit installed and say to yourself 'Where do these wires go?'
Harv
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

i hate to sound like a moldy old dinosaur ( but hey, i am ) but i started in the biz long before there was a Metra that made vehicle specific interface harnesses. In those days you hacked off the harness, grabbed a meter, figured out what was what and hard wired... I couldn't imagine going back to those days....which is why i always recommend the proper vehicle harness, for crying out loud, it's 10 bucks!!!  

I can only imagine that the guys posting here asking " can't i just cut off the harness? " havent had to go through that hassle......

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

CUTTING THE HARNESS IS GAY

dont be the cheap guy who cuts another harness out there for someone else to fix.  spend the 8~17 dollars and buy a metra harness.  stand at your work bench, take all the like colors and crimp/solder (whatever you prefer) them.  or you can sit in the vehicle for who knows how long with a DMM and a 9v battery testing for wires with the GM colors like kgerry said.

MECP certified installer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic