icon

Panasonic Head Unit Wiring Harness

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mob.dynam.grad 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
Just wondering if all Panasonic Wiring harnesses had the same color coding for the acces., constant 12 and so on....a friend of mine bought a panasonic head unit at a garage sale.  And he wants me to install the unit.  It didn't come with any mounting hardware.  What do i need??  And what is the color coding for most head units??
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
the current Panasonics all use the EIA standard...thats not to say the pin out will be the same on all models, but the color codes will be.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
Yup, the colors will be standard and have been since as long as cough cough I can remember. 18 years approx. However they have changed the molex from year to year as well. The mounting cages and trim bezels have also changed as well. Post up the model# of the cd player and most Panasonic cd players also had a month of manufacture on them, what is it?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
mob.dynam.grad 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
The head unit is the CQ-DPX151U   Serial number :  570346.   And its panasonic.  Yellow is constant...black is ground i'm pretty sure.  But what about the rest....which color is for which speaker??
kgerry 
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
look up the EIA wiring code....which i thought you'd already know being a MD grad.....   this wouldnt happen to be going into a Lumina van would it?????
Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  

Red -ignition

Blue - power antenna / remote on

Grey - front right +

White -  front left +

Green - real left +

Purple - rear right +

And you did not learn this when you were getting your MECP? WTF are they teaching there? I'll train guys for 1/2 price, any takers?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
mob.dynam.grad 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
does that mean that all of the head unit wiring harnesses, whether they are sony or alpine or whatever...always have the same wire coloring for the speaker wires. I know that the black-ground, yellow-constant 12V, Red- acces, and blue is power antenna....but i mean....are the speaker wire colors all the same
mob.dynam.grad 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
and no it isnt going into a lumina van...into a 1993 Ford Club Wagon Van(big as van that i cant find on metra and am unsure if its the same as the econoline...ill just check the harnesses at the local shop).....and what is EIA
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 5:18 AM / IP Logged  
a 1993 ford club wagon will most likely have a factory amplifier system tied with its rear headphone system. which means that finding a wiring harness for it is not useful, and instead you will need to re-wire the speakers. but then, not all of them will have the factory amp. if there are headphone jacks in the rear, then that will indicate a factory amp.
kgerry 
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

EIA = Electronics Industry Association.... this is the body which sets the standards for our industry.... i tip my hat to them for their standardization of aftermarket audio wiring color codes... any of the old timers like myself who vividly remember sifting through all different wiring codes on every different make and model will appreciate this

you can use a Metra 70-1770 for this vehicle...if the vehicle has the rear audio/headphone bank on the drivers side then as mentioned above you'll have to run all new speaker wiring...... it's not that big a deal really...i just rewired an Aerostar last week and it took about an extra hour to run all new speaker wire front and rear....

Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic