icon

sub box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joeykang 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
I need help I  want TO  know how to build a sub box to hold two subs can i build it straite or does it have to be at a angel this is my first atimpt at building one help please
joeykang
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

Where is this box going to be placed at? trunk? and what kind of car, subs etc..

Leif 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
Knowing where he's gonna put it isn't actually required to answer this question.
A box can be pretty much any shape. As long as the total air volume inside the box is what the woofer manufacture recommends (for example 1 cu ft per woofer, but you'll have to check your manual), it'll probably work fine, as long as you make a sealed enclosure.
So, you can let placement dictate box shape. If you're placing it against the rear seat in the trunk, you'll want to make an angle so that you don't waste valuable space.
///Leif
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thats not a completly acurate statment Leif. A box can be made any shape, however some shapes do work better than others. For example a completly square box will produce standing waves, which is very bad. Putting an angle in the box will help eliminate this. Also I dont know what you ment by saying "as long as you make a sealed enclosure" but you can get good sound out of a ported encosure as well and you can get loud output outta a bandpass or transmision line box too. If you are new to this as you say you are, I would suggest making a sealed box just because it is easier although a ported box isnt really that much harder to build, just harder to plan. I would suggest bracing the inside of the enclosure and using 3/4 inch MDF and using wood glue and either brad nails or screws. Its pretty essensial to glue the box and not just nail or screw it together. If you do this right you wont have to silicon the inside of the box but it never hurts anyways.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
I am learning all the time from Ravendarat, and to add to his suggestions, here is a link to an enclosure-building help page:  http://www.diysubwoofers.org/faq.htm
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
joeykang 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
it is a 1988 ford turaus 3.0 v6 i am placeing it  in the trunk behiend the rear seat thank you for the help everybody i am wonding if anybody has a better install idea pic can help  thanks
joeykang
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
I built a box for a single 12" for my Taurus, and made it a little different than usual.  The speaker is mounted into what looks like the side of the box, and the box angle allows it to fit all the way back against the rear seat.  The woofer fires toward the center of the trunk space.  It works real good in my car, but the angle of the box and the cutout on one side like this means you can use it only in one position in the trunk...no moving it around to find what sounds best.  Your car should be similar in size to my '01 model.  Here is a pic of the box.sub box -- posted image.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
stevdart 
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

This is in the trunk.

sub box -- posted image.

joeykang 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

thank you   do you have any more cool setup

ideas

joeykang
stevdart 
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
For two subs I think I'd put the back of the box against the rear seat and face both subs toward the rear.  You can do an angle on the back side, if necessary to get it back further.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic