icon

Who’s Who?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
delphidoc 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

I just saw this thread for the first time. Name's Larry, I'm 45. I have nothing to do with Delphi the electronics company. I'm a general surgeon. I like to write software using Delphi. Never could stand C++ and Visual Basic doesn't let you do API calls without calling C++ procedures.

Back in the 70's lots of people still had 8-track decks. We thought we were doing good if we had a Dolby cassette deck with a pair of Jensen 6x9 coaxials. Our idea of mods was cutting out some speaker spacers out of shelving board so the coaxs would fit in the doors of the ratty imports our dads let us drive. None of us had our own cars so we put our money into our home stereos and made sure we could get our car stereos out of the cars they were in and into the next car we were allowed to drive. My family had 7 cars for 4 drivers and usually only 4 of them were driveable. I liked having an under-dash casette deck mounted in the glovebox.

I've always liked doing things with my hands. Did a lot of electrical and instrumentation helper jobs in chemical plants while I was in college. Installed our sprinkler system, network wiring, and alarm system in our home. Lots of tinkering with computers.

My son is about to turn 16. He's all eat up with getting a pickup truck and putting in a lift kit and booming stereo. He's already got the subs and amp even though he doesn't actually have a vehicle yet. He got me to looking at the system in my Envoy. I started out just changing the door speakers. Then I decided I needed an amp. Now I'm playing around with relays and adding some sorely-need overhead swivel lamps in the roof. Next I think I'll add some tweeters to the dash. I might add a small sub later but I'm into more of a high-fidelity sound than booming. I don't care to make people's mirrors vibrate at red lights.

I sure have enjoyed using this site. I try to get the information that I need from it for my purposes without getting into the brand name squabbling that invariably occurs in forums- Boss sucks, Kicker sucks, everything-but-my-brand-sux. Lots of knowledgeable people here. I've gained a appreciation for how difficult it is to install an after-market system in modern vehicles.

ant@unigoal 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
My name is Anthony and I am 34yrs of age, I have always had a knack for tearing things apart to find out how they work. I started learning about car audio by looking over the shoulders of a couple of Tech's who I looked up to and a couple of Repair shops I hung around back in the mid 80's. Everything I learned was from asking questions and just plain old experiance. I am a manager of a Local Pawnshop in Ft Worth Tx (don't hold that against me I do know stolen stuff when I see it and I either confiscate it or get info and provide it to the local law enforcement). Car Audio is 20-25% of my business and I do well since I'm in a moniority neighborhood and everyone wants to be heard and seen, you know BLING BLING. I don't post often on this site since I have to work the floor and run the online aspect of this business. I have over 17yrs exp on car audio and security including installations, with the exception of the newer cars which scare the hell out of me sometimes. I don't have a degree, but have enough smarts to get me where I need to be in life and I get paid WELL. This is one of the more informative sites on the web and have been a member for atleast a couple of yrs. I do read some of the post and do reply from time to time. So anyone looking for a good deal check me out I'm always trying to sell something........
Ebay user is
datant69
backinblack_gp 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, my name is Brian and I'm an alcoholic...  Oh, wait...  Wrong forum... Who’s Who? - Page 8 -- posted image.

I invent electronic gizmos' for the Pontiac Grand Prix.  If it has wires or moving parts, chances are pretty good I've disassembled it and made it better...

Somewhere along the way, I've installed countless audio packages, remote starters, alarms, etc into just about everyone I know's automobiles...  (Anyone seen my remote boat starter?Who’s Who? - Page 8 -- posted image.)

djv1 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
I'm Dustin I love to tinker and work on Vehilces and Stereos and anything electronic, hope to learn lots from this site.
JVC deck
6.5in MB Quarts
Rockford 3001M amp
2 12in Kicker Comps
Sirus Sattilte Radio
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
-i am Lam Tran, from houston tx. yeeehaaawww!!!!
-a junior in civil engineering at U of Houston.
-i install car security for the extra bucks.
-self-mechanic and a handyman.
-life is good!!!!
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
redlight831 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2004 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys my name is Tyler. i am just starting in the buz..i have learnd alot form sites like this and i start school at Mobile Dyamics in October. hopfully when i get back to my home town in portland oreagon i can contribute a little more to the 12 Volt
slicksam 
Copper - Posts: 291
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2004 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

Hi my name is Sam and I am 31 and live in montreal(quebec)--------->yes it is pepper(french) land. I have been installing for 10 years for a company....I would say I am strong on the car starters cause of snowy winters and freezing cold snaps. I also know my stereo's system area. I left the company and still do this type of work in my garage at home. I can't let go of this field, I love it to much.

so I am to spread my experience and information to whoever needs help.

P.S. if anyone live close by to me and needs assistance......send me an e-mail.

Testing is the key
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
I'm a 20 year veteran of Car audio install and service.I used to compete in regional car audio competitons with product that wasn't considered  mainstream(JVC,HiFonics,MTX).But took home enough 2nd and 1st place to wake the locals up.
BigDog
12-volt_guy 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
I have been installing car audio for about 30 years.  I owned and operated my own store for 15 years.  I did a bit of work for a multimedia and animatronics company some years back.  We built the computer control racks used in the movies Jurassic Park 2 and Godzilla.

I have, for nearly five years now, been the Installation Supervisor for a major retail chain.
wiggetta 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

I'm a new member from the UK.

Started installing Moss Car alarms in the uk when I was 16, progressed through various jobs installing ICE, Alarms, Hands free kits, Telematics eqpt.

Self employed now at 28 years of age, mainly installing 90% Telematics 10% Hands Free.

I run a similar forum to this place in the UK and we are always looking for US members, I think I have one out of 500!!

The forum is aimed at engineers and not DIY fitters.

Hope to see some of you over here?

Speak soon,

Andy Wiggett

Page of 16

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic