icon

Ok I'm A Hoosier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
StlS_Ron 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  

The reason I say this i s a good friend of mine is constantly telling me that I need a second battery and a cap.  Ive basically had a "system" in my yukon for 4 years now.  Been stolen 4 times but I always put something back in it.  Ever Since I've had a Stereo in this car, with the stereo loud, the voltage meter read real Low.  Borderline red. 9 volts.   Remeber this has been going on for 4 years truck starts every morning and never a dead battery.  So i assume that the gauge is wrong and go on with life.  Last week I hooked my Truck up to a diagnostic machine and the gauge reading was the same as the computer was reading. 

1) So the gauge is right?

2) If so is there any damage Ive done to the car.

On a side note After sitting at a stop light (Head Ligh/Ac/Brake Light) the sound quality of my subs changes.  Mabey Im crazy but they start sounding sloppy.  In this Situation the voltage gauge is deep in the red (8 Volts). But my Headlights dont dim!!  Is this a normal thing for a amp to do when starved for power.??

sorry for all the questions but Ive been reading this forum for the past 4 days in a row.  Kinda Dizzy!

Ya my radio sucks.
Oh by the way I cant spell!!!
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
i would check the output of the alternator.... may be a bad regulator. Also try using a battery charger on the batt.... a slow trickle charger would be best and see if that brings up the voltage, if not, try charging and testing the battery out of the vehicle, if it doesn't go up enough, may be battery. 
StlS_Ron 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
but if the battery was bad or the alt wasnt putting out enough dont you think there would have been a problem by now (4 Years).  Dead battery or slow crank. Somethin 
Ya my radio sucks.
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
Upgrade your alternator, from your post I am assuming that your voltage meter reads at about 12 or greater when your system is at a normal level.  What is happening when you are sitting at a light your system is starving for power and begins to lose control and that's why it sounds sloppy.  When you accelerate your alternator makes up the difference and your system starts to gain control again.  Yes, your gauges are right but your system is hurting.   You are under powering your amps when it comes to electrical current.  If you upgrade your alternator you will see a huge difference in your system.  It will sound stronger and louder than ever since your amps will be getting the proper juice.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
just curious...  between stereos ( the time line between one being stolen and the new one going in ) how did the vehicle run? was it charging properly then?
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
StlS_Ron 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  

Between stereos the voltage ran about 12 to 13. there was no extra draw on it. 

So basically a second battery, a cap and a second alternator is not nessisary.

I could get away with a 1 high amp alternator

Ya my radio sucks.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
that is certainly where i would start.......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic