icon

is Clarion still good?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I went up to my local car audio shop recently and I was looking at a head unit. I glanced over and saw a clarion head unit with the same options and some more than the one I was looking at had. So, i was like what the hell, let me see how much it costs. I didnt think i could afford it cuz I remember clarion being really high end expensive stuff, so when i went to the counter he told me 175. I went online and the radio goes for 300 on some sites. So, i guess my question is, is clarion still good? How do they compare to alpine head units?
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
IMO Clarion Pro Audio high end line is in the same league as Alpine, but their lower end stuff is more comparible to Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.  If you like it and the price is right, why not, just make sure you like the sound as their amps can be a bit thin.
Support the12volt.com
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
save your money... the mechanisms in their newer entry level models are garbage......and their higher end models dont compare to most of their equivlalent competitors....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
thapimpfromchi 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
This question goes out to DYohn... how did my post's name go from Clarion to... is Clarion still good? I'm guessing that was your work right?
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
thapimpfromchi 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  

oh yea, forgot to mention, thanks for the replys. I didnt think it was as good anymore cuz I never hear anyone talkin about them. thanks alot. i dunno what i wanna get anymore. Im looking for a head unit with sub out, rear out, front out, at least 1 input, and does mp3/wma's. for under 400. anyone got any ideas?

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
i would say look at a Blaupunkt Monte Carlo MP34 except it doesnt have a dedicated sub pre out... other than that it fits the bill.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
Uh, not me.  I didn't edit the title.  Clarion made some really good gear in the past few years, but I can't speak about their latests stuff since I haven't played with anything from them newer than 2002--- and back then their top of the line was the same as they made for McIntosh, so it was great.  I agree with Kevin, though, the Blau Monte Carlo is a great deck - far superior SQ to Clarion - and they can be found at a really good price.
Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn, if find your comment about the high end stuff being in the same league as alpine and the lowend stuff in the same class as pioneer and kenwood. I will put a pioneer deck up against an alpine deck anyday of the week. With the exception of the recent catastrophy with the 8400 and 8500 models I would recomend one over and alpine in the same price range any day of the week.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
I would be on DYohn side on this one. I feel Alpine is a better HU than a comparable Pioneer. I have owned both and the Alpine had better features and lasted longer. The pioneer pooped out on me after a year and a month. Wasnt covered under warrenty either. The Alpine had more adjustments so i could fine tune my system and the EQ the ALpine seemed nicer to me as well. As far as Clarion HU, i feel that they are in the same class as Pioneer or Kenwood if you get the higher end stuff, but ive heard real bad horror stories about the low line...bad news
It is better to remain queit and have others think u are dumb, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
I guess to each his own. I have also owened both head units and felt that the EQ on the pioneer was far more usefull. I also found he sound to be much warmer and found that the preouts did not distort anywhere near as quick as the alpine ones do, at least not to my ear. Now as with the Clarion Issue I am pretty much onboard with everyone else, low end clarion is really bad but the high end stuff is ok.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic