icon

How Many Ohms?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Audiobahn1500 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
This Is kind of a really dumb question but i just need to clear some stuff up real quick.  I'm about to redo my system, i'm planning on getting rid of my two 12's and going with one 12" MTX Thunder 9500 dual 4 Ohm speaker. Anyways the ? is what ohm load will it be running at in to my amp i'm looking for 2 Ohms cause my amp puts out 1000 watts and two ohms.  So if someone could clear that up for me it would be great thanks for the help.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
A dual voice coil 4-ohm speaker can be wired for a 2-ohm load (putting both voice coils in parallel) or for an 8-ohm load (putting both voice coils in series.)  So, if you want to place a 2-ohm load on your amp, you have made a good choice as far as the voice coil resistance goes.
Support the12volt.com
Audiobahn1500 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help that is exactly what i wanted to hear
stereofreak 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
you may also want to consider the 8 ohm woofers as the dampening factor is better than a 4 ohm.check and see if the dampening will affect your install in your car.
if i can't make it sound good,then it is just a piece of crap anyway
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
MTX doesnt make a 8 ohm 9500, you could wire the dual 4 ohm up to produce the 8 ohm load but them the amp would probally only produce like 250 watts rms, not anywhere near enough power for that driver. You could buy the single voice coil version of the sub and run at 4 ohms, but that still only 500 watts and that sub would prefer the 1000 watts he could put to it. Those subs are generally bought by people who want loud bass so the increased damping factor produced by the increase in load is not worth the drop in power, at least not in my opinion
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic