icon

Orion subs, power acoustik amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
Ok heres the story. About two weeks ago I bought my new subs/box/wiring. I bought 2 orion c12s, but the shop had to order the second one , so they gave me a loner Memphis sub. I had the orion and memphis hooked up for about two weeks with no problems, yesterday I got my second orion, hooked it up, and now i have problems. When I first powered up the new sub it was making almost no bass and a rattling noise, then teh rattling stopped ad it seemed to be working, so I hooked the other one up. Now that one is making no sound or movement whatsoever, it was working fine before. Then the newer sub started acting up again, and now the power light on my amp is blinking from green to yellow to red. Can anyone help me out here??? The amp is a power acoustik, and has worked fine up untill now.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Are these both the DVC 4 ohm version?  Check again that each sub's voice coils are wired in series for 8 ohms each, then paralleled to the amp at the bridged terminals. 
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I seem to have fixed the problem, the new sub is working fine, as is the amp, soem wires got crossed. But now I have a new problem, I took the other sub out of teh box to see if a wire had disconnected, it had. But I also foudn something else. Somehow water is getting into my box, their is mildwew on the bottom of the box, and their was a little bit of moisture on my sub, water must be coming in from the bottom of my trunk. I assume this is very bad for my sub. I guess im gonna end up pulling everything out of my trunk and finding the leak....ayone ever had this happen to them???
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

as above it does sound like a possible impedence problem...double check the impendence of the drivers per VC to make sure you are not running that amp at too low an impedence...you should be able to run it at 4 ohms with that combination....

also check to make sure you dont have a strand or two of your speaker cable frayed and touching at the amp terminal connector at the sub connection.... i've seen that give you weird problems without actually showing as a short before.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
The trunk lid rubber gasket might be decayed, frayed and cracked.  Or parts of it missing.  Some cars will leak rain runoff into the trunk if the car is backed up an incline when parked.  Replace the seal if needed.  If you haven't noticed the carpet on the floor of the trunk being wet the last two weeks, the moisture could have come from above.  If there is a wheel well, go to the bottom of it and check for moisture.  There is generally a drain hole in there, but the opening can work both ways, with water being splashed up into the well.  At any rate, kill the mildew with bleach and dry the box completely before remounting the driver.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
stereofreak 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like a loose connection and the voice coils on thje same woofer are pushing against each other.
if i can't make it sound good,then it is just a piece of crap anyway

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic