DVD Install 2004 Expedition with moonroof

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kdsekh 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

Just purchased a 2004 expedition with moonroof. I opted not to get the factory DVD because I wanted a larger screen. (But did get the factory Navigation! It's Sweet !!!) Anyway I installed a overhead power acoustik w/10.4 screen in my 2003 expedition with no problems however it did not have a moonroof.

What am I getting into by trying to do the same with a moonroof? Are there any available braces up there behind the headliner? Any tips, tricks, pictures would be a big help.

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
An expedition/navigator with a sunroof is easier than one without. The headliner dips pretty low where the sunroof is so you can easily put a piece of 1/2" or maybe even 3/4" wood in there and screw the tv into it. The headliner itself is pretty thick and fairly sturdy so you really don't have to catch any beams unless the tv your putting in is REALLY heavy. There also is a large flat spot in the headliner so you don't have to worry about cutting the tv shroud to fit the contour of it. One of the easier vehicles out there just make sure to keep the sunroof and sunroof shade CLOSED when cutting the headliner..Also make sure not to use screws too long or you'll scratch the sun shade. Unfortunately I can't find any useful install pics from expeditions that I've done. Good luck,
Mike
kdsekh 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  

Mike,

Thanks for the heads up! I am still trying to decide wether or not to go with an all in one unit or seperate monitor / player install. My choices would be the power acoustik / ferenheit 10" all in one or their 14.1" monitor. Where is the easiest place to pick up power for the all in one? I am leaning towards the all in one and running wires down the B pillar because it also has side curtain air bags.

Do you have any thoughts or wiring info. that might be helpful to me?

Thanks again,

Dave

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
You might want to pull the passenger side kick panel and check for power and the antenna lead there. If it IS there, you'll need the 40-FD30 metra antenna adapters. Either way it's still more convenient than pulling the radio and running wires up there. Here's a pic of the kick panel from a navigator.
DVD Install 2004 Expedition with moonroof -- posted image.
You can see the antenna disconnect (if using an FM mod), the power wires, and a factory ground circled. So basically run your wiring to the pass kick and be done with it. Also be sure to put fuses on your wires! In that harness in the kick the thick yellow would be your constant power, blue/green would be your ignition power, gray / YELLOW would be accessory. Should cover any wires you would need. Again take a minute quick to pull the kick panel and verify if everything is there.
As far as running wires around the airbags just be careful and use common sense. Keep your wiring more on the inside of the airbags themselves, try and push it a few inches over on top of the headliner. Also once you pull all the door seals you can tell just where an actual bag would deploy and where a "safe" spot to run the wires is. Good luck,
Mike
kdsekh 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  

Mike,

Thanks again! What size fuses should I use? I would think that I need to put a fuse on all three wires with power yes or no? I assume I should place the inline fuse as close to the tap in point as possible?

Dave

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
if in doubt, fuse it, it would use a 20amp, enough tooffer enoughpower to the unit but will still protect the wire. and yes, as close to the power source as possible.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic