icon

Grand am sound problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ljd_80 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

I recently replaced my door speakers on my 02 grand am. The speakers i put in are 4x6 polks and everything else is all factory. The problem is that they sound worse than the factory ones. You turn it up half way and they start popping. Why? (I also had some pioneers and they did the same thing)

Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds either like reversed polarity, or possibly just too much bass passing to your speakers.

Try turning the bass on your HU all the way down. Turn the volume up about 3/4 of the way. Does the problem persist??. If so, I would say you have one or more of your positive and negative speaker leads swapped.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

Try bass blockers (you can find them at crutchfield.com) if the polarity is correct.  Turn the bass bass off. 

If you still don't like the sound you may need to consider an amplifier.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
First check the speaker phasing. The factory wires use tan and light green as the positive leads. Next insure that the speakers are perfectly sealed on the mounting plate. Any air gaps or holes into the door will seriously reduce the speakers ability to play any bass at any volume. I use to install 6&1/2" speakers in the doors of Grand Ams. You simply had to reproduce a new speaker mounting plate that was the same outer size and shape as the original one. Then cut a hole for the larger speaker in the center. You can make the new plate from 1/2 inch MDF and use the same screw locations for the new plate. No modifications are needed to the door or trim panel. The improvement in sound and bass is incredible.
sparky
Leif 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
Wait a second.. Is it likely that the aftermarket speakers are worse than the factory speakers? I don't think so! Whichever power the factory speakers could handle, the polk speakers should be able to handle also, without popping. I could be wrong about this one though.
Maybe there's a short somewhere? Like, one of the speakers leads touching ground? That could certainly cause strange popping sounds.
Reversed polarity will reduce bass severely, but will not cause popping.
///Leif
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

Actually reverse polarity on one speaker can cause the exact same problem he is describing. I am banking on polarity on this one. Also are these speakers new or used. Try disconnecting one front speaker and see if the other one stops its "funny noises". If it does than it was polarity.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Ljd_80 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all of your replies. I did check for reversed wiring but that's not the problem, and yes the speakers fit perfectley with the factory mounts. My thoughts were either getting bass blockers but, I don't understand why the factory's speakers would be better than what i put in. Then i thought maybe of putting in some 4" and a new mount. Dunno but, I'm tired of my stereo sonding like sh*t.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic