icon

fiberglass console

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Xplorer 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
I  want to make a custom fiberglass/wood console for my explorer sport and was wondering how to approach the task. I removed my stock and also my ashtray and cigarette lighter(bottom of dash). I was wondering how to join my new f/g console to my dash and make it all seem like one? Also i bought a plastic console piece with cupholders etc. Can i incorporate this into my console(will the plastic and f/g stick to each other alright)? What is the best way to keep the f/g console in place if it is seperate from the dash? I know it's alot but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peace
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
uh, lets see, u can make it look like one piece with liquid plastic, using bondo or some crap doesn't work as well and tends to crack over time. Yeah, u could incorperate those piece, u'd just have to mold them into the consol. As for keeping the console in place, try making screw holes where factory screws went, its tricky but it can look really good, otherwise I'd say make some mountings on the back and screw that into the body. Good luck
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
i think the best way to go is with liquid plastic, but i'd use semi-rigid, because you don't want it to crack when it gets flexed. just out of curiosity, why do you want it to be one piece? what if you need to take it out for some reason? does your truck have 4wheel drive? if not, i guess it would be ok.... what kind of finnish are you planning to use?
pimpgtivr6 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
I dont understand why you would want to blend it into the dash. A seam would look more "stock" than joining it together and having it crack later CAUSE IT WOULD. I would just take extra time in making it just barely touch the dash with a perfect smooth curve...its hard to comprehend what your doing without a picture but it seems tha joining the two is just a huge nighmare. Everytime i use liquid plastic i regret my experience and wish i hadnt touched the stuff.   Just my opinion
Nick
Xplorer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

I dont necessarily want it to look stock...i was just wondering how hard it would be to join the two. If its not too hard i was gonna give it a try. I dont have 4WheelDrive its an auto, and i was gonna paint the console black to blend with part of the dash. You all seem to advise against the liquid plastic cuz it tends to crack, is that true for all liquid plastics?

Thanks for the replies.

Peace
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
pimp's got a point...... just make it close but not touching
pimpgtivr6 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
I think every liquid plastic product ive used is AWESOME in the right application..but for joining a console to a dash..NOT GONNA WORK. I think its pushing the customization to far.and will kinda ruin the effect. But again..its just my opinion.   If your not changing your dash (ie..fiberglass or paint) then what you are going for is a "somewhat" stock look. and blending in a console with the dash is just not worth it.
later
Nick
Xplorer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with you pimpgtivr6 im just gonna make a custom f/g console and try my best to bring it right up to the dash instead of molding them together. Thanks for the help.
Peace
r0yal 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
make sure you take some pix!! lol
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, we're picture addicts!
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic