mono or 2 Channel amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  

A quick question

Is it best to power any (2) 12's with a 2 chan amp or a mono amp?
Looking for SPL. Screw SQ! lol!
If so which amp would you suggest?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Which ever one will power the drivers properly, wires to the proper stability of the subs,  gives them adequate headroom, fit where they need to and won't take all of your hard earned dollars. When you get bored (and you will) with SPL, come back and most of us can talk to you about how to make your system sound good. SPL needs power, for the most part, the more the better.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
JiggaFan 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

94legend:  you've got ALOT to learn.

you remind me of the customers still stuck in the the "bridging" days...that's all they know.  and if you throw in some Dual Voice Coil subs and wire them 2-Ohm Stereo, they think you're a fool.

For the most part, a pair SVC 4 Ohm speakers coupled with a 2channel amp is not the most efficient setup.  You're matching two 4 Ohm drivers with a 2 channel amp that produces the most power at 2-Ohm stereo/4 Ohm mono (when bridged).  However, there are some freak driver/amp setups that can operate with a pair of 4-Ohm speakers and a 2 channel amp...maybe b/c most 4 Ohm subs wired in parallel aren't exactly 2 Ohms.

In the old days, SVC 8 Ohm drivers were abundant.  You could Parallel wire a pair of 8 Ohm subs to get a 4 Ohm load that you could then connect to a bridged 2 channel amp.  In the current day of DVC 4-Ohm subs, you can still get that same affect if you apply a series-parallel wiring configuration to your subs...you wire each DVC speaker's VCs in series to 8 Ohms, then you wire the 2 subs together to get a 4 Ohm load to be presented to a bridged 2 channel amp.

Because I don't particularly care for the aesthetics of leaving two speaker terminals on an amp empty, I like to wire each DVC 4 Ohm sub in parallel down to 2 Ohms, then wire each sub to it's own channel on a 2 channel amp.

Now, when you get into mono amps, you gotta ask yourself if they are 2-Ohm stable or 1 Ohm stable.  2-Ohm stable amps will be used most efficiently with a pair of SVC 4-Ohm subs; 1 Ohm stable amps will be used most efficiently with a pair of DVC 4-Ohms subs (with each sub's VCs wired in parallel for a 2-Ohm load).

stereofreak 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2004 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
get a class D amp and get DVC 2 or 4 ohm speakers.
if i can't make it sound good,then it is just a piece of crap anyway
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
^^^^^^ someone needs to learn about damping factor!
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
LMAO @ Rob. I agree.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic