icon

how hard to install an alarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
john__john 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
how hard would it be to install an alarm say i bought one off of the internet and plan to install it into my vehicle .. would it be pretty hard and just leave it to the professionals?
djrock 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

Hi john__john it depents what vehicle you have and how confident you feel. If you get a very good professional installer you will get a good job done.

djrock

jugga-nemo 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
The only alarm/remote start unit that I've installed is the one in my car. It wasn't difficult to install, just time comsuming. The hardest part was getting the remote starter to work properly. I would say it took about 2 days (15 hours) my first time. I used the wire chart that this site offers (although very few wire colors were correct) and tested all of the wires before I connected anything. My friend installs quite a few alarms regularly and he uses the wire charts from this site and the rest are perfect.
5.25" Components & 5x7 Coax Kappas w/Power Acoustik OV4-800
KAC 7252 powering 2 D3 8" Diamonds
KDC-MP728, KGC-4042A
lilboi 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
got a link?
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
Wha vehicle are you installing it in and what alarms are you looking at getting? You can do the install yourself with a little help from the people on this site.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
wow, that's a tough question to answer....personally, i think it's easy. but then, a dentist would think doing a root canal is easy too. a painter would consider painting a house easy. a chef would consider baking a cake easy....you get the idea. also, bear in mind that things are easier to do if you have all the right tools and the right environment.
john__john 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
thanks very much guys .. yall guys are always helpful .. i am gonna install it into a 1998 gs300 or soemthing around there .. and i just want any alarm with those lcd 2 way remotes with remote starter and stuff
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
I am just curious, when you say you will be installing a remote starter in a GS300 or something like that; What do you mean with the or somethng like that part?
I recommend performing your first install on your own car. If you are installing it on a 98 GS300 though I can provide some useful pictures of the wire harnesses that you need to grab and other critical information.
Email me if you are interested.
Also post here before you buy a 2 way unit because you dont want to buy a POS and someone on here will be able to let you know if what you are looking at is decent or not.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
lilboi 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
I'm planning to install a RSX 3.5 into my prelude manual. It's gonna be tough to get some of the things to work with my 5 speed. read the other thread if your interested.
spokman 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
I'm almost done with my first install and I have to tell you it's not as easy as it sounds. Wires look almost the same. Things aren't quite like they are in the basic diagrams from this site sometimes. I think a basic install should be easy but the more features you want the harder it will be. Without a factory wiring diagram you might end up really struggling also.. Just my very inexperienced view.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic