icon

1995 Chevy Monte Carlo remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
donnie5336 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a remote starter on my 1995 Chevy Monte Carlo and it has the GM VATS anti-theft system (resistor pellet in key).  I bought an Autopass interface kit for this.  It has 10 dipswitches with tons of different resistance settings for each combination. I tested anti-theft wires in my car with my volt meter and with the dial set on 20kOhm, it read 0.5202.  The resistance values on my chart for the interface unit range from 0 to26486 with about 25-30 difference between each setting.  I have tried setting it on 52, 516, 5189, 5214 and almost anything that would closely resemble ".5202".  I know the system works because I have the bypass unit temporarily disconnected and I can leave my spare key in the ignition and the remote starter works.  Can anyone help me please?  What is the actual ohm value when the meter reads "0.5202" on the 20kOhm setting?  Thanks.
Donnie
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
set your module for 5189
you need to cut one of the wires in your VATS system, there's 3 wires from the autopass module the go to the factory VATS system. you also need to power the large red wire in the 2 pin plug.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
donnie5336 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
I have it installed already; Red wire to +12v, green to ignition 2 wire, blue to ignition wire, violet to neg. (-) input from remote starter unit, gray and orange to computer side of VATS wire, and white to the key cylinder side of VATS wire.  I tried it on 5189 before and 5214 but with both, I mash the start button on the remote and the unit powers up, my relays click, but the security light on the dash stays on and the car doesnt start.  If I disconnect the Autopass unit and leave my key in the ignition, it works.  I think my Autopass unit may be defective because I know the connection is being made because it still works with my key in the ignition.  Any suggestions on any inexpensive VATS bypass modules to try that route? or anything else? Thanks.
Donnie
donnie5336 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
Also, I assumed that a 0.5202 reading on the 20kOhm setting was .5202 kOhm which would in turn be 5202 ohm.  Is that correct?  Another question is that if I can't find the problem with the Autopass module, would a 12v resistor around 5202ohm work on the VATS wire and not worry about a bypass module at all?  I know this would essentially completely disarm my VATS system, but i'm running out of options.
Donnie
extreme1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
is your orange wire on the AUTOPASS connected to the second VATS wire?
Shaughn Murley
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
donnie5336 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 5:38 AM / IP Logged  
I cut one of the VATS wires, and I hooked the white wire to the key cylinder side, and the orange wire and gray wire both to the computer side of that wire.  Thats how the diagram that came with it said to hook it.
Donnie
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
did u ever get the vats bypassed yet????
send me your e-mail and ill send you some info....too big to load here...
i use the AU-vats from omega......it seems to work really good for me.......did you measure the chip in the key??????????
put your mete to ohms......and touch each side of the key. see what the number is....i will try to send you the info that i have for the kits i use, see if it will helps you...if it does and u want one just let me know.....
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
clank 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
measure the resistance in the key. most remote start kits come with resistors to create the correct value for vats and same wire locks. wire in a relay with the resistance in line and your vats system will still be intact.
donnie5336 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I tested the key also when I tested the wires.  On the 20kOhm setting the key pellet and the wires both read 0.5202.  I still haven't gotten it working yet. 
Donnie
extreme1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
draasch wrote:
did u ever get the vats bypassed yet????
send me your e-mail and ill send you some info....too big to load here...
i use the AU-vats from omega......it seems to work really good for me.......did you measure the chip in the key??????????
put your mete to ohms......and touch each side of the key. see what the number is....i will try to send you the info that i have for the kits i use, see if it will helps you...if it does and u want one just let me know.....
you don't hook the orange and grey together, one of them goes to car side and the other goes to the second VATS wire.
Shaughn Murley
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic