icon

RMS Power vs. Dynamic Power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Audiobahn1500 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

I was looking at some new amps and i came across some MTX ones specifically the 801D and it says:

RMS Power 12.5 VDC                                                       Dynamic Power 14.4 VDC

2 Ohm Load: 500w x 1                                                      2 Ohm Load: 800w x 1

4 Ohm Load: 250w x 1                                                      4 Ohm Load: 400w x 1

Well my question is what do those both mean (RMS Power and Dynamic Power) cause i'm really looking at the 800 watts for what i need to run but will it actually just put out the 500? Thanks for the help

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

RMS is the continuous power and what the amp will play at all day long as long as it has a 12.5 volt.

Dynamic Power is what the amp will put out for brief seconds while at 14.4 volts.

Leif 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Here's a big myth buster:
Power (watts) is voltage squared divided by ohms.
Inversely, Voltage is the square root of power multiplied by ohms.
This tells us that the amp is putting out 32 volts continuous RMS power at 12.5 VDC and 40 volts briefly at 14.4 volts.
The difference between 32 and 40 volts is only 2 dB's!
So, 500 watts versus 800 watts, while it looks huge on paper, is only at most 2dB's in real life. Half a click on your volume control, probably.
My point is, it probably won't matter at all (in real life) whether it's putting out 500 or 800. To have a clear audible difference (subjectively) you'd need to quadruple the power (for a 6 dB difference, double voltage), and some people don't even consider THAT to be "twice as loud".
Hope I'm not too confusing. Bottom line, don't worry about it.
///Leif
Audiobahn1500 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Leif, that really cleared it up for me thanks alot i'll think about that amp now thanks again
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
Here's a big myth buster:

RMS is the continuous power and what the amp will play at all day long as long as it has a 12.5 volt.

Dynamic Power is what the amp will put out for brief seconds while at 14.4 volts.

Power (watts) is voltage squared divided by ohms.
Inversely, Voltage is the square root of power multiplied by ohms.
This tells us that the amp is putting out 32 volts continuous RMS power at 12.5 VDC and 40 volts briefly at 14.4 volts.
The difference between 32 and 40 volts is only 2 dB's!
So, 500 watts versus 800 watts, while it looks huge on paper, is only at most 2dB's in real life. Half a click on your volume control, probably.
My point is, it probably won't matter at all (in real life) whether it's putting out 500 or 800. To have a clear audible difference (subjectively) you'd need to quadruple the power (for a 6 dB difference, double voltage), and some people don't even consider THAT to be "twice as loud".
Hope I'm not too confusing. Bottom line, don't worry about it.
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

Can you define these terms?

Ohm:
Ohm Impedance:
RMS:
Watts:
2/3-way speaker:
Ground:
Hz frequency response:
+ db:
low pass crossover:
- db:
Volts:
Crossover:
bass boost:
AGU:
Power Output:
Ground Input:
variable low-pass filter:
SQ:
# amps:
 1-ohm stable in 2-channel mode :
preouts:
bridged:
mono:
parallel:
SPL:
variable high-pass filter:
preamp outputs:
variable bass boost :
many more questions @ www.pwned.nl/

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
lol
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  

I always heard that it took twice the power to make a 3 db difference and that 3 decibels sounded twice as loud.  We hear loudness on a curved scale, curving sharply upward once we get past "quiet".   87 db is considered quiet, but just add 50% of that more and the sound is louder than close up at a rock concert.  The scale defies the logic of numbers.   A good example of this effect is the increase in db's by adding extra speaker cone area.  For instance, you start with one speaker.  The rule of thumb is that doubling the cone area gives you an increase of 3 db.  Well, simple, you say.  Add one speaker to get the 3 db.  Now to get another 3 db, you have to double what you have, going to 4 speakers.  You want 9 more decibels?  How about adding another 32 speakers!  If you started at a quiet sound of 87 db, you doubled the sound at 90 db by adding one speaker.  But to get to just 102 decibels, you had to add another 31 speakers. 

That's the big difference in SPL contests:  anybody can come in with a 130 db system, but to get to 150 db is a feat.  Only a 20 db difference between them, and only a 15% increase, but in reality a huge difference in output.  When it's loud, a decibel counts for a lot.  You see SPL contests break it down to tenths of a decibel.

For your answer, as fuseblower has defined above, always look at the RMS rating, and match that to what you want to achieve.  Published "peak" ratings have no value, if you are in the know.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
Stevdart, you are correct. dB are measured on a logurithmic scale, so for every 3dB, you are getting twice the volume. That the reason that a jet plane is only like 135dB where a rock concert, which sounds quite a bit quieter is like 120dB.
Paul
Leif 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
Hey 94legend, that's the second time. Would you please stop copying my entire posts (and stripping off the signature) and posting under your own name?
Thank you.
///Leif
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic