how smooth is smooth enough?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tnrplaya 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

Hi everyone...

I am approching the end of my first fiberglass project. I am currently sanding a cover plate from my trunk in preparation for paint.

I have read a dozen times that when painting, every surface must be absolutely smooth in order to end up with a finnished product that looks at all respectable. 

My question is how smooth is smooth enough? Curently, my piece looks looks like a girl with very nice legs, but with a *bit* of cellulite<<<I guess that's the best way I can describe it. If anyone has pics of their past projects in the stage just before primer, I think that would help a lot.

Also if anyone could detail the paining process...my understanding is as follows:

'glaze coat' not sure what this is or if it is necessary, but i think it happens in the beginning of the process?!?!

high build polyester primer: to fill in very small holes and promote adheason, drips sand down like chalk with very fin grit sandpaper

paint

clearcoat

thanks for helping a newbie out!

~Alvin

PG Limited Edition Octane Aplifier
PG Ti400.2
(2) JL12w6v2
Focal 165KF
JL TR-690TXi
Sony XAV-7W
Sony 10 Disc MP3 Changer
X-box
APC 350W inverter
Monster 1/0
Irragi 180A Alternator
pimpgtivr6 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
HOw smooth is smooth enough???there is the question of the day...
This is smooth as a fat chicks ass below
how smooth is smooth enough? -- posted image.
THIS PICTURE is as smooth as Jenna Jamesons big round voluptous bre.......enough said. Below
how smooth is smooth enough? -- posted image.
To me...smooth enough is when you can take two fingers and start on one end..WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED..you dont wnat anyother senses screweing up your perception..go back and forth..whenever you feel a pit..or a spot that is wavy..circle it with a marker....at this point you should have a piece of fiberglass that is as pimply as a fat chicks ass as well. Now you want to take bondo and lightly glaze over those areas..then sand..and TEST AGAIN. when you have smooth as a baby's ass..then you spot putty (unless you use a high build primer) and start wet sanding.
any questions AOL IM PimpGtiVR6 337
Nick
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
right on. I'll be outside sanding for like 6 hours before I'm satisfied with it, and thats even before I do any of the bondo stuff. If ur gona carpet something, it can have pits and crap, but to make that nice fiberglass painted finish, it needs to be 99.9% free of any voids, that means using like 1000 grit paper when sanding and using high build primer and just sanding, sanding, and sanding.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
tnrplaya 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  

thanks guys...

I am definately closer to a fat chick's ass than jenna's right now. I will try and post some pics tomorrow perhaps...

This whole sand, bondo, sand, bondo, repeat, repeat business is a lot more work than I thought...But I guess that's why the pros get paid so much huh!

Thanks for the help!

~Alvin

PG Limited Edition Octane Aplifier
PG Ti400.2
(2) JL12w6v2
Focal 165KF
JL TR-690TXi
Sony XAV-7W
Sony 10 Disc MP3 Changer
X-box
APC 350W inverter
Monster 1/0
Irragi 180A Alternator
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
Resin, rough sand, body filler as needed, rough sand, high build primer, sand (80, 220, 400-500), paint. For vinyl, carpet, flock, etc. you can stop at 80 grit. As long as there aren't dips or pits you can stop at about 400 or so for paint. I see people recommend sandpaper up to 2000 grit or even wet sanding. That's just a huge waste of time. Your surface does not, and should not, be glass smooth to that level. You need something for the paint to stick to.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
It should feel like marble with poweder on it. So pretty much smooth as sh*t.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
xtreamcc 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
Aww, jeeze, dont go tell'n me that u dont use high grit paper when sanding primer and stuff. I dont do wet sanding but I do sand down the primer with the 1000 grit paper, IMO it just makes the finish look a little better but yeah, u dont 'need' to do this persay. I dont sand the actual fiberglass with 1000, I usually stop at around 400 or so then primer it with high built and then sand the primer with the 1000 grit to get a smoother finish. Onces thats done the paint will stick to the primer.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
CarAudioHelp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
So "u dont 'need' to do this" but "dont go tell'n me that". Got it.
xtreamcc 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
hey! I just speak the language! Dont mean I can use proper grammar or spelling! GRRRR!!! haha, that was kinda dumb though..... then again this is me were talk'n about.... how smooth is smooth enough? -- posted image. haha, oh well, f**k it, just listen to caraudiohelp, at least he used proper grammar and sh*t.
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
CarAudioHelp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

I wasn't ripping on your grammar or your spelling. I was just goofing around because you wrote that you don't need to do it but still thought it should be done. Grammar and spelling are out the window on the Web.

Anyway, I think the bottom line for tnrplaya is this. You don't need to sand past 400 grit on your primer but if you want to you can. Try it both ways and see if you can tell a difference. The thing you need to worry about the most is the dips and not the smoothness of the surface.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic