correct pre-amp out / sub out confusion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kevymac 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
   Hi,
I'm a newbie to car audio wiring and I'm a little confused.
I have a 1999 Dodge Durango with the infinity 6 speaker setup and I'm not sure what I need to do here. What I was thinking is that I would get an aftermarket head unit, an EQ, a crossover and a pair of subs, replace the six infinity speakers with ones rated for better power handling (one in my front passenger door panel is blown anyway) and get amp(s) for the subs (not sure if I want separate ones for each sub or a 2 channel yet) an amp for front speakers (mid and tweeter in each door panel, not sure if I need an amp for each side or just a 2 channel will do) and an amp for the rear speakers. I notice that some head units have 2 pre-amp outs with a sub out as well, and I also notice that some EQ's have pairs of 1, 2 , 3 and sometimes a sub output as well. Also, some head units have some kinds of inputs too, and so do EQ's. My confusion lies right there. First off, the EQ gets connected from a pair of the pre-amp outputs coming off the head unit, correct? How do I correctly go about configuring and searching for a good head unit and EQ combo? Would one set of pre-amp outs from the deck go to the EQ and then all the speakers come off pre-amp outs from the EQ? Please help unconfuse a newbie. It's hard for me to search for the correct combo not knowing how each piece of this puzzle ties together. Thanks for any and all help.
If you think I can help, ask me... I'll try my best!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
Get a good head unit, first of all.  Forget about the EQ for now.  A quality head will provide what you need.  Get one with 2 sets of preouts plus a sub out.  Some further reading through these posts over the past week or so will provide you with some info on heads that are considered superior.  I suggest looking for a four channel amp for speakers all 'round, and a separate amp for subs.  If you have chosen quality components for your system and have done a good install, you will find little use for an EQ.  If it turns out that no matter what you do with the system, you feel something isn't right, then begins the search for the right EQ.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Charles_R_H 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

Start with the head unit first!  Get one that has a front, rear, and non fading sub preamp.  Hi pass and low pass crossovers built into the deck.  Seperate front and rear hipass filters are a plus if you are running your mids and highs off of the deck, due to different sizes of factory speakers in your truck.  MP3, xm/sirius ready are up to you depending on if you want the capabilities.  If you are looking at component sets to replace factory speakers then you will need an amplifier for them if you plan on doing it all right.

Private message for more help, I have trouble remembering who I've talked to on here!

electronics run off of smoke, when you let the smoke out they stop working

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic