icon

Audiobahn system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hoosierdaddy 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
Well, all this talk of how bad Audiobahn sucks is kind of bumming me out. I've spent my whole summer in California at an internship at a crappy marketing firm, with the only solace being that I've ordered a completely new system for my truck (you guessed it, Audiobahn) and its waiting to be installed back in Illinois. I mean, am I going to be really disappointed with my new system or what? I've ordered the A2150HCT 1200 watt amp, A4002T 200 watt amp, ABC6002Q components, and I've got the AWP312T 1200 watt sub on order. This is an upgrade from an Autotek2150 300 watt amp, pushing a 10" Kicker CVR, with an Eclipse 30 X 4 amp pushing 4 infinity reference series coaxials. Oh yeah, I plan on doing fiberglass for the new sub, so I'll probably be posting on ehre about that too sometime soon.
mg
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  
well man, you will be ok with it for a little while, the audiobahns will act like audiobahns and then you'll be upset. i'd sugest returning ALL of it
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  

Good gosh, at least keep the Eclipse amp.

I'm sure your new system will be fine.   I just don't know that it will be an upgrade at all from your current system.  I'd rather have infinity coax powered by a nice small clean eclipse amp, personally. 

My advice:   return your sh*t, figure out what is WRONG with your current system, look long and hard for a replacement for THAT part, spend some time listening, repeat.

For example, you want louder, deep bass?    Do research on a good sub and actually go to stores and listen to subwoofers.  I'm guessing that you won't choose audiobahn. 

You want cleaner midrange than you infinity coax's can provide?   Go to the store and listen to quality component drivers.  Do your research.  Again, probably won't choose audiobahn.

Now this is all moot if super elite chrome (are the kids calling it 'ice' these days?) and PHAT 2" surrounds get you off.  Then, by all means, go with audiobahn. ;-)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stereofreak 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
all this dogging audiobahn is gonna make me not wanna carry them in my store,what is wrong with them?!?someone give some good reasons and some insight.
if i can't make it sound good,then it is just a piece of crap anyway
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
They are overpriced for what they are. They are overrated - who knows about the power specs, but I HIGHLY doubt their 50x2 amp is >100db s/n and 0.02 THD at the rated rms power. I don't like the sound of their coax or component speakers.   Haven't heard their subs.
They seem to spend more money on the looks than on research and quality sound. Chrome flames? Bling-bling isn't for everyone. It gives it more of a 'toy' feel than quality audio components. I personally dog them a lot just because I'd rather not have that trend catch on. I'd rather have the amplifier look like sh*t if the company instead spends that extra cash on quality sound and reliability.
Bottom line. For the same price I'd rather have many other brands. Just my opinion.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
hoosierdaddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
I guess my main question is, based on the equipment that I was using before, will the new Audiobahn system sound better? Will I get better, louder, deeper bass with a 1200 watt RMS audiobahn 12" getting 1200 watts RMS as opposed to a 300 watt 10" kicker sub getting 300 watts RMS? And will Audiobahn components rated at 200 watts RMS getting 200 watts RMS sound better than Infinity reference coaxials getting 30 watts RMS/channel x 4? Am I going to be seriously pissed when I get this stuff hooked up because it going to sound like butt? I'm not a super-audiophile or anything, just a college kid looking for a pretty loud system. I really don't feel like returning all of this stuff mainly because I ordered it all online and shipping everything back will cost a lot (shipping/restocking fees), and I also got really good prices on everything, i.e. A2150HCT 1200 watt amp retail $719, paid $300.
mg
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
It'll be loud noise...
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
ok man, i have another plan for you.... sell it to someone without opening it, and use that money to get something else
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
Audiobahn stuff always get discounted huge because the sh*t is marked up through the roof. Its the same marketing ploy as what boss audio uses. Retail a driver at 300 bucks, put a cost of 65 bucks on it and when a customer comes in offer to give him half price on it and he will be so amazed at the deal he is getting he will buy it if he has the money in his pocket. The store is still making over 50 points and the customer thinks that they just got an amazing deal and they now have a hook up at a store in town who will give them "phat" deals. Its been used for a long time and is gonna continue to be used. BTW if you ever get an amp that claims to be 1200 watts RMS for 300 bucks then its not 1200 watts RMS, its bull sh*t.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
hoosierdaddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I guess I forgot to mention, but the reason I'm doing Audiobahn is that I need a sub that's really shallow because I'm putting all of this into a regular cab Dodge Dakota ('03 SXT). The sub I'm getting is the AWP312T and it has a mounting depth of only 4.5". Does anyone have any other suggestions for a sub that's really shallow? The Kicker 10" CVR has like a 5 3/4" mounting depth, but the MDF box that I made is still too big (angled box 3" at the top, and like 7" at the bottom, I think). I plan on doing fiberglass for the new setup so I can maximize space and not have the box stick out as far so that my passengers' knees aren't crammed against the dashboard. I was also looking at the Earthquake SWS12's, but they're only 300 watts RMS. Their mounting depth is like 3.5" or something and they've got over 2" of excursion. Oh yeah, I'm going back to school on August 23rd, so I need to get all of my equipment at least a week before then so I can fabricate the box and install everything before I go back to school...
mg
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic