icon

Bass Blockers Won't Work

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nychris2004 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
i bought bass blockers and i know every speaker is hooked up right , but when i hook up the bass blockers to my rea r 6 X 9's and turn the volume up it sounds choppy and scratchy and disgusting.. i have them hooked up right and i exchanged them for some new ones and they did the same thing...any suggestions?
JVC HU
Rockford 501bd (500 watt rms)
Rockford Hx2 Rf2212 (1)
Kenwood 6969 (4)
---If You Learn Something New Everyday And Teach It To Someone Else, Everybody Would Still Be Dumb As Hell!---
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
"Bass blockers" are simply high-pass crossovers.  They do nothing to prevent  "choppy scratchy disgusting" sound.  More likely either your head unit or your amp is clipping, or your speaker5s cannot handle the power being fed to them (or they are just really cheap)
Support the12volt.com
nychris2004 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

No its not like that, i have 2 kenwood 6969s in the back.(60 WATTS RMS with no amplifier on them)).now without the bass blockers i can turn the speakers all they way up (50/50) with the bass all the way to max, and they work great, you just cant  hear the actual music cuz theres so much bass., thats why i wanted bass blockers.now when i attach the bass blockers, THATS when they start getting all choppy and scratchy when i turn the HU volume up to about halfway (24/50), even with the bass all the way down... The speakers are fine its just that something about the bass blockers is making the speakers mess up, or the HU clip, or whatevers happening..i just wanted them until i hook my real amp to my sub and hook the 4 channel to my speakers thats all, i just want to know why it sound like that (ONLY WHEN THE BASS BLOCKERS ARE ON)

SORRY IF I DIDN'T EXPLAIN MYSELF COMPLETELY THE FIRST TIME.

JVC HU
Rockford 501bd (500 watt rms)
Rockford Hx2 Rf2212 (1)
Kenwood 6969 (4)
---If You Learn Something New Everyday And Teach It To Someone Else, Everybody Would Still Be Dumb As Hell!---
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
OK, now I understand.  Sounds like the "bass blockers" you bought cannot handle the power from your head unit.  What's the brand and model number?
Support the12volt.com
gtown installer 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  

did you hook up the capacitors (bass blockers) in line with the positive wire?

gangstaville installer
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
as DYohn suggested bass blockers which are essentially non-polarized capacitors come in different voltage values... sounds like you are using them in an application that surpasses their voltage rating...
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
akimball442 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

The other thing that happens, when you install something like that is that it makes the impedence change. Often you read about 2 ohm and 4 ohm loads, and you realize that 4 ohms is easier on the amplifier. Some ampilfiers actually like the heavier load, and putting the capacitors on causes the amplifiers to become unstable. My suggestion would be to try something simple like a 10 ohm resistor in parallel with the resistor. I dont think that you are exceeding the voltage rating of the caps. I have built home speakers for use on 100WPC amps using only tiny 35V caps without any major problems.

GOod luck!

akimball442 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  

I meant  put the resistor in parallel with the capacitor. Sorry about that.  The 10 ohm resistor should still help keep out most of the bottom end.

DYohn 
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
Huh?  No, resisters will do nothing to block musical frequencies.  Capacitors block low frequencies.  Are you thinking of a zobel network?  If so, your 10-ohms is the wrong resistance and "parallel with the cap" is the wrong circuit.
Support the12volt.com
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
What size bass blocker did you buy?  They come in different sizes which restrict different frequencies. 
Do it right the first time
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic