icon

97 Honda prelude, miswired stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97supalude 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Hi! I tried wiring my panasonic stereo yesterday. Well first i looked on here and the wiring diagrams on here are not the same as the wires in my car. Heres what i did in wiring, maybe you guys can tell me what i did wrong.
Ok first off, on the cars wires, besides the speaker wires, there was a WHITE/ red , a WHITE/ yellow, a black, and a RED / black. I hooked the yellow(battery) and the red (constant?) both to the WHITE/ yellow. I hooked the black ground to the black. I hooked up all the speakers correctly. So now i have a couple wires left over. On my stereo, I have a BROWN / white speaker wire that isnt hooked up, but i didnt have it hooked up in my old car either. I think it is the dimmer maybe? And also on the stereo, i have a blue and a blue/white that are attached together, and used to be wired together in my old prelude to one of the cars wire(its had said continous something.. maybe relay). And as for wires that arent hooked in in the cars wires, i have the RED / black(which on one wiring guide that i saw online said it was the amps ground, although the amp is working fine without it hooked up) and then the WHITE/ red.
I know that having the red and the yellow wire into to WHITE/ yellow isnt right probably, but i couldnt get it to power up any other way. I tried attaching the red to the WHITE/ red, and the yellow to the WHITE/ yellow. But it did not work.
So if someone could tell me how to get it wired correctly, and what to hook up the remaining wires to(RED / black, blue, blue/white), that would be great.
Thanks!
LudeBoi 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
Just spend the extra couple of bucks and get a harness. It will make your life 10x easier
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
black = ground
WHITE/ yellow = constant +12v......connect to yellow of your h/u
(fuse for it is in the fuse panel in engine bay)
WHITE/ red = accessory switched +12v.....connect to red of h/u
(fuse for it is down by driver's kick panel)
RED / black = illumination.....connect to orange (if your h/u has it)
RED / green = r.front speaker +
BROWN / black = r.front speaker -
RED / yellow = r.rear speaker +
BROWN / white = r.rear speaker -
blue/green = l.front speaker +
grey/black = l.front speaker -
blue / YELLOW = l.rear speaker +
grey/white = l.rear speaker -
97supalude 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
thanks jim. my h/u doesnt have an orange. all thats left now is blue, blue/white, and BROWN / white. But ill hook up the power wires like you said. I could of sworn i tried it before and it didnt work, but maybe i screwed something up. Thank you
-Dom
97supalude 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
ok, so i tried the whie / YELLOW to yellow, and WHITE/ red to red. no go. the only way it will work is if the red and yellow are connected to the WHITE/ yellow. it also doesnt work if i have the red and yellow hooked to the WHITE/ red. Also, i have now hooked the red, yellow, WHITE/ yellow, and WHITE/ red all together! Now that i threw the WHITE/ red in, my clock works(it wasnt working before). Although my doors still do not power lock if the car is off,the overhead light (when its on the 'turn on when door is open' setting) still doesnt turn on if the car is off, and the stereo doesnt retain its settings.
So i am at a complete loss as to WTF is going on. I could def use some more help.. anyone have any opinions/ ideas or anything? why would i have to have the yellow, red, WHITE/ yellow connected together to get my stereo to work, and why would i have to have the yellow, red, WHITE/ yellow, WHITE/ red all connected together to get my clock to work?
Would the factory external amp in the trunk have anything to do with it? its working the way its rigged up...
Also, why wont my stereo retain its settings?
And would splitting one of the wires into two and connecting it help anything.. i dont know, im lost.
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
go to your engine bay and look into the fuse panel there. there should be one called "back-up", and it sounds like that fuse is blown, based on what you've described. you may as well check all of your other fuses too.
you shouldn't need to use and of the blue, blue/white, or BROWN / white from your panasonic h/u.
97supalude 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
thanks jim.. you are the man!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic