icon

Anyone ever dissected a compass mirror?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swede 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

Just wondered what was in it and how the compass itself works (I understand the Earth's magnetic field....yada yada yada)...I'm referring to the compass and its internals.

I have a place thats 1" x 1" that I'd like to put a digital compass/ambient temp guage - and was wondering what was in them before I get one and destroy it....heh heh. Anyone ever dissected a compass mirror? - Last Post -- posted image.

Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

digital compass modules are usually not cheap in low quanities to buy, last time i looked they where around $60-80

not sure how one would work if pulled out, good luck

swede 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

You can actually buy them? Where? These are the smaller units as in the mirrors?

Would certainly make more sense than trashing a perfectly good mirror.

Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

well i was just talking about the internal modules like honeywell makes...

or something like this: http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Info.jsp?item=26#

hmmm its just 2 magnetic sensors, and a microcontroller.... maybe ill make my own...

swede 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

10 to 1 says I can get a mirror from a Pick n' Pull and have everything for $10.

Building one from components seems a bit complex for me.....maybe in a beer or two (or 5?) it'll make more sense.

Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
swede 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  

If i knew how to build one and knew it would work, I'd give it a shot.

Note....."IF". 

Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
You'll have to have a way to calibrate the compass once it's in. All the metal in your car will make it read a little bit off. If you only care to tell if you're heading northigh or westish or soemthing, as-is works, but if you want something resembling accuracy, you'll need one that can be adjusted a little.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
bhowey 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  

Not Exactly....

The Gentex compass mirror comes in many styles including dimming, compass, temperature and Onstar head.

These mirrors including the ones found on high end GM cars as well as others adjust themselves to the car, the metals in the car and are most accurate.  I took the compass mirror out of my Cadillac before trading it in, replace it with an auto dimm mirror and put it in my Wife's Chevy Van. Works pefectly. The new Cadillac CTS sports model with NAV does not come with the Compass mirror, (something Cadillac is going to change next year), so I purchased an Onstar Compass Temperature mirror taken from a wrecked 2004 Buick, removed the old one, inserted the new one on its post and plugged it in. Then I ran the car in a circle (Factory directions!) three times to callibrate the Compass.... Bingo! Works perfectly.....

BTW, Gentex Corp sells these through Mito Corporation, (can be found on the web), for most cars....

wr

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic