icon

wiring 2 + 2 Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone know how to run two 12" SVC subs + two 12"  DVC subbs off of 1 mono amp or 2 mono amp?
What kind of power kit is needed?
how many amps is needed?
thanks!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
How many ohms are the subs?  What kind are they?  What amp?
Support the12volt.com
94legend 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
The SVC SUbs have an impedance of 4 ohmz
The DVC Subs have an impedance of 4 ohmz
Amp no amp . not sure which is best.
Thinking about getting 2 mono amps? i dont want o use up much space so i thinking about 2 XM-DS1600P5. with a 4 gauge kit?
or get a single class D mono amp ?
lilboi 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
I have the 1501, that amp is nice. Top of the line mtx. How many watts are your subs?
94legend 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
So with that one 1501D MTX amp , it would good to push 4 subs = 2 DVC + 2 SVC ?
The SVC are 300 RMS each
Then the DVC are 500 RMS ea
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 5:13 AM / IP Logged  

94legend wrote:
The SVC SUbs have an impedance of 4 ohmz
The DVC Subs have an impedance of 4 ohmz  

The amp doesn't care whether the subs are single- or double-voice coil, but each sub will have to be wired to the same impedance for you to get the same output from each sub.  A 4 ohm DVC can be wired to either 2 ohm or 8 ohm, so there is the problem.  It doesn't match with a 4 ohm SVC.  So therefore the rule that each of the subs you use should be the same make and model.  I wouldn't advise trying to build such a Frankenstein setup.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
Agreed.  Use the two 4-ohm subs together and the two 8-ohm subs together.  Run two amps and two enclosures.  Or get four subs that match.
Support the12volt.com
94legend 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, the 12" SVC Subs are gone,

Just got another pair of 12" DVC's a total of FOUR 12" DVC's

Most likely there would be no custom box. just throw two enclosures in the trunk having them back to back  one facing the back seeat the other facing out towards the trunk. all though its really haeavy and is causing the car to drag.
How many amps would i need and how do i wire them?
Would it be best to get 1 mono or 2 mono or 2 chan ?
What brand?

Charles_R_H 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
ahh, questions with a thousand right answeres
electronics run off of smoke, when you let the smoke out they stop working
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

94legend, excuse me but I gotta wonder....I read most of the threads on this forum, and you have been involved for quite awhile now.  Even doing install jobs.  Your questions sound like someone who just walked in the door.  Now don't be offended by this, but you certainly must have been reading other posts besides the ones you started.  Yes?

So for the questions above, how about you tell us what your thoughts are about what to use in this car you're talking about.  Do the routine...what is the car, the budget, the obstacles....?  Think too about things you've read here about subs facing in opposite directions...power output of an amp as compared to RMS rating of speakers...brands you've seen on here that were talked highly of...

You give this forum your best ideas that will work in this situation as far as you can see it, taking all of the above into consideration.  There will be comments after that.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic