icon

Sealed or Ported for RFR3110's ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
A ported enclosure would hit much harder (SPL) than a sealed for my new RFR3110's, right?  
boom, boom, boom boom....
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
thats not nessisarily true. The ported box will give you huge SPL levels, but it wont be tight bass. Seal those suckers in with the proper amount of air being them and they will blow ur trunk lid off.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
MBZ oe 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

So if I want responsive bass that will hit those multi-notes I will want sealed? BTW, for poundin' I listen to rap/hip hop.

I need the enclosure to hit all the notes that folks like 3-6 mafia and such use. Especially the LOWS

MBZ oe 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
I have been satisfied with sealed for 10 years. My only ported enclosure was for an 18" punch pro that I used to have in my old school.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not a fan of ported, especially if u like to hear your bass. The RFR3110's in a ported box will be so loud the bass wont resinate to your ears inside the car and you'll basically be listening to the speakers pushing air. A block away you will be rattling everything but I've never really cared about who heard me, I've always wanted loud, responsive bass. With the 3110's you'll get that with a .75 to .65 cuft box (just be sure to take into account for their volume displacement as its freak'n huge with that damn magnet).
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
MBZ oe 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  

Xtreamcc,

I like loud, responsive, hard hitting bass as well. And I don't care about what people a block away think either. I just want to feel it. I like having so much in "reserve" that someone would think that the car should just fall apart.

The VAS is the volume that the woofer takes up from the enclosure, right? And the manual calls for .625 cuft. Do you think a little bigger like you said,.75, would be better for my application?

Do you also have any specific amp suggestions for these to replace my kicker? (BTW a friend did a benchtest on my 1200.1 and it was putting out 1575 peak at 1.33 ohms. What do you think it would put out at 2 ohms? 6/700RMS?)

I'm going to start an new thread for amp suggestions right now.

MBZ oe 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  

I just figured out that Vas is not woofer displacement. Just wanted to correct myself.

>The VAS is the volume that the woofer takes up from the enclosure, right?>

styper 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
I would probably go sealed with those speaker. What type of car are you putting them in? You will receive a tighter more accurate bass, with a sealed enclosure.
With the ported the bass will be less in the car and more outside the car.
Just remember any type of enclosure you build sealed/ported a lot depends on the design and having the correct air space for the speaker along with the watts you are going to be giving that speaker.
For example once I had a hatchback CRX with a regular sealed box I bought from a local stereo store as a package, I decided to build another sealed box, using thicker MDF and angling the speaker towards the hatch, this made a world of difference.
With speakers boxes it always correct air-space, correct design for vehicle, and having the correct enclosure for the type of speakers your using.
S type R.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic