icon

Boxed rear speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tomos 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
Hi guys, I have DLS Reference 7x10's on my rear parcel shelf (stealth with thick MDF)
If I have the space underneath the speakers is it worth sealing them into boxes under the shelf. Will this improve the sound?
Due to current space constraints my subwoofer is virtually next to the bass cones of the 7x10's. Will this affect them badly?
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
wow that's and odd size.... must be foreign. i think you might benifit from a box. and you should deffinately build boxes (seperate ones)  if the sub is close to the. what kind of car is it?
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
i've always been told that speaker box's for fronts and rears arent worth it, you wont gain anything out of it.
but noone has ever proved that to me, im in the midst of doing 2 box's for my 6.5's simply to gain my trunk space and have some workable material in the back if i ever decide to build anything for my trunk.
If you already have the extra material for it, i would say doit simply for testing results, but if you dont have the material i dont think spending 30-40 bones on mdf is worth it, wait till you got extra mdf to use. thats just what i think though,
hth ;/
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
it just occured to me, it could eliminate some 'bad vibrations' if your speaker box's are low quality in design and you switch to an MDF alternative, just a thought. dont kno what you got in your trunk if anything.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
Your DLS manual allows these speakers to be mounted in an enclosure.  Note the air space required:  min. 20 to max. 25 liters.  If you don't have that much space to work with then you should leave them free air.  You might look into constructing some form of baffle to separate the subwoofer from the speakers to minimize interfering sound waves.  Most cars have a baffle like this.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
tomos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 4:12 AM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks you guys. Heres a link to an image of my trunk. I live in the UK and my car is considered somewhat average size. Unlike you yanks with ya huge-f*ck-off pickups and trucks!!! ha h
http://www.freewebs.com/apollo_on_earth/rear.jpg
Its tight isn't it!
Makes installs more challenging let me tell you. As you can see the speakers are hidden, I managed to fit 3 amps and a cap inside the rear quarter of this 3 door hatchback honda civic. Its all about the install. So, not really enough room to box them, and would they sound any better?
As for the comment on foriegn speakers, they are swedish. Though I've heard DLS have links with diamond audio, one of them makes eachothers stuff - so I heard. Have an M6, it kicks.
JL 500/1
Soundstream Reference 405 (bridged) driving:
Diamond Hex s600s
Sounstream USA 180 (for rears)
Nakamichi cd400 with aux input from creative labs Zen xtra (sounds 10x better than an mp3 burned to a cd)
Would eventually like to change my 2 soundstreams for a 4 channel enough to drive the fronts and rears. But saving up for something special
tomos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 4:44 AM / IP Logged  
For those of you with sharp eyes, yes there is an amp bolted to the back of the seat in the picture. A temporary replacement for an incorrectly wired 500/1 that went pop (I didn't install it and I'm quite bitter so don't ask!)
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I would definitely make some sort of rigid baffle between the sub and speakers. The sound waves and just the air pressure levels just have to be interferring, wouldn't you think? Maybe try a few temporary things first and see if they make any difference to you.

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
tomos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
Would a sheet of mdf mounted under the speakers (but not sealing them) be enough to prevent pressure directly hitting them, or would the pressure be the same? I'm having good feelings towards boxing the speakers as I built some floor standing for my house. During the build process I tested the drivers while the box was being constructed and it got better and better until the 'lid' was put on them. I know its a different science completely and considerations are made when speakers are designed for shelf placement. I just get this feeling (not just from my limited space point of view) that most would benefit from sealed enclosure.
Can anyone explain why you wouldn't get a better response from a sealed enclosure?
What's that flippie??
stratusfear69 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

I'd do the baffle since the waves of the sub are probably interfering w/ the rear speakers.  Have u tried aiming the subwoofer to the rear of the vehicle instead of upward?  I'm guessing you'd probably get a better bass response.  I'd try it.

As far as the type of enclosure, a sealed box is nice since it is smaller and will give you a tighter bass response.  Ported boxes, though larger, will give you a 3dB gain at the tuning frequency.  So, to get a sound decibel output on a sealed enclosure compared to a ported, you would need TWICE the power.

If you're stuck w/ little room, stay with the sealed.  And definitely take my recommendation on aiming the box backwards to see if there's a difference.  Actually, the box looks simple enough to move, I'd try aiming in all directions and see where it's the best.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic