icon

measuring amp power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tylertime 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  

i've read in magazines that amplifiers put out a certain amout of volts...and that in turn is translated into wattage

how do i measure the output of my amplifier to see how much it puts out

i know its rated at 12v (not 14.4 not 13.8) and it makes sure to say exactly that

so i'm wondering what it puts out at those voltages, how do i measure??

T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
try a search on this site for your subject line. I've seen this subject come up a bunch of times before. good luck.
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
ok theres a little formula that shows exactly what an amplifier can actually put out, and this uses the laws of physics so some company that says their amps push 1000 watts, might be lying.
It goes like this
Watts = Volts*Ampers
Simple as that. So lets say ur system operates at a standard 14.4 volts, ur amp has a 30A fuse, it can then only push a maximum of 432 watts. The actual capabilties of an amplifier are also determined by the load presented. For instance, and amp that can push 400 watts to a 4 Ohm load will not be able to push 400 watts to an 8 Ohm load, it will be able to push only 200 watts. On the other hand if it is 2 Ohm stable it will theoretically be pushing upwards of 800 watts to a 2ohm load, this will vary as Ohm loads vary event in standard rated speakers. Anyway, the basic w=v*a is the most simple and effective way to figure out how much power ur amp can actually push.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
tylertime 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

ok thanks

thats what i thought....  but when i do that i get somethiing like 300w  my amp is supposed to be 150 rms

will the rms simply be half of what it says??  thats whats threw me off the w=v*a formula

my amp is a jl audio e4300  and it says to set it up to 24.6v dc while using a sine wave at 3/4 deck volume

i'm guessing they wnt you dto do this with the car not running (12.6v)

and also.. when i read a mag like PASmag  it mentions large jumps from 12 to 14 volts that do not follow the basic formula, so i was wondering if there is another way!!

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
Your amplifier is rated conservatively, which indicates that it is a quality brand.  By that, you can pretty well be assured that the amp is providing the power it claims.  If you are asking because you want to find the power output while your car is running, at say, 13.6 volts, there is no easy way to know this.  I have asked this myself and found that there is only one way to determine an amp's power output.  And you will have to take it to the bench and have some equipment on hand to do the measuring.  bcae.com has a good tutorial you can use.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, just read your last post.  You are referring to setting the gain.  The instructions tell you to measure for output voltage using a digital multimeter.  That's AC volts, not DC.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
tylertime 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
yea sorry its AC not DC

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic