Direct battery connection to head unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kevymac 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
    Hi,
I know I'm probably being a pain in the butt asking so many questions, but I've read about many problems that I would rather not run into. I've decided to purchase an Alpine CDA-9833 head unit, and in the directions, it states that a direct connection must be made to the battery with 10 gauge ring connect and an inline 20 or 30 gauge fuse. What is the best way to run the wire out through the firewall of a 1999 Dodge Durango while minimizing contact with other wires (so as to minimize interference). I have a Haynes book here, but it doesn't really tell where (if anywhere) there are already holes made, or if I need to drill through it somewhere. I'm pretty sure there must be a premade hole by the steering column for the rest of the electrical wiring. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this for my vehicle?
Thanks for any help or hints!
If you think I can help, ask me... I'll try my best!
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
uh... ur replacing the factory head unit yes? If thats the case then u have a power wire already attached there. U've kinda lost me with the whole sparate power wire for a new head unit because ur factory unit has a power wire that u can use.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  

xtrreamcc,,  the alpine HU have very powerful amps built in and require as much power as a normal amp.

kevymac,, if you take a peak under your dash on your driver side you should see some rubber grommits, , all you need to do it poke a hole in one and push the wire through, , or another alternate would be to go into your ignition harness in your steering column and grab the 12v wire there, , you will still need to fuse it, but be shure to solder and tape.

Plus, don't forget, you gota upgrade the ground wire too, , so use the same gauge wire directly to a metal chassis part.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
kevymac 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
xtreamcc, yes, I'm replacing the factory unit with this unit, but it calls for a larger gauge wire (10 gauge) and the above statement should read 20 to 30 amp fuse, not 20 to 30 gauge. Was typing pretty fast because I'm excited. ;)
Alpineguy, thanks for the tip. I thought there would be other wires there that I could just follow... thanks for the confirmation. I purchased (2) 10 gauge battery terminal clamps (monster sound ones) to add to the battery. Hope those were the right items seeing as they were 18 dollars each. I also purchased the 100 watt monster sound amp install kit, since it comes with 10 gauge runs of power wire, and they appear to have decent shielding. Now I just have to find a wire harness connector so I don't have to hack off my wire harness (it would look unprofessional and I may eventually take the stereo out if I ever sell it in the future) So hopefully I can find one out there (sure it won't be too hard). Now for my next task.... looking for decent prices on component speakers to replace those crappy factory infinity ones with aftermarket ones that fit my vehicle. Thanks for all your help! You guys rock!
If you think I can help, ask me... I'll try my best!
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
OH!!! my bad guys, I've never used Alpine head units before so I didn't realize they use a big amp. Thanks for clear'n that up Alpine Guy! Guess u'd know more bout alpine than me lol.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
Qinstaller 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with Alpine Guy. When I install either Alpine or the Pro Audio Clarion decks I take the heavy gauge yellow wire to the Ignition harness and grab my 12v there. it will work just as good. In your truck it will be a heavy Gauge Red or Pink/Black wire in the main Ignition Harness. as far as getting the Amp 12v Wire thru the Firewall there should be a factory gromet close to the Master Cilinder. excuse the spelling please. 
MECP Cert.
18 years Exp.
Support your local Installer
Still love what I do! :)
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
I've hooked up many of those Alpine decks that say "Do not hook up to the deck. Run to 12v. High current" Or something like that. I hooked them up normal and they've never came back. Maybe if I try the way Alpine says they will be louder or something. I'm going to try that next time.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
Qinstaller 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

When they first came out I thought the samething the first one I installed blew the fuse in the fuse box. but the Guy had a cellphone and PDA pluged into the Cig. Lighter. So better to be safe than sorry I always say. On a side note would be interesting to test  to see if there was a diference in Amp power depending on where it was hooked up.

MECP Cert.
18 years Exp.
Support your local Installer
Still love what I do! :)
jakediggity 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
I have an Alpine CDA-9835 and have 10 guage running directly to the battery because im scared to tap into the ignition harness cause i dont want to break anything.  But AlpineGuy, when you say not to forget to upgrade the grounds, do you mean the ground coming out of the back of the head unit cause that looks like its 12 guage or do you mean the ground from the battery? just wondering.  thanks.  Hey AlpineGuy do you use Bass Focus cause i just dont understand what it does, and im kinda curious.
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  

I bet the lights dim and it sounds like crap when it's hooked to the factory wiring.

That's actually good to do with all HUs, but if it specifically states to do so, I don't see any reason not to, it doesn't take that much longer to run a wire from the battery.

I'll tell you how I pull wiring.....first I look to see if there are any gromets with lots of wires coming though or clutch cable or something....but it's better to stay with the wiring. I stick a screwdriver through it, being carefull not to jam into anything important.  I look for the tip on the other side, tape the wire to it, pull it through. If I see sunlight poking through the new 'rip' after the wire is pulled, I squeeze a blob of balck RTV into the entry point.....sealing it forever.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic