icon

Amp Decisions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
StlS_Ron 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2004 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  

Ok I just got done with an install in a buddy of mines mustang.  Turned out great! (Or at least I think so.  Ill post pics) Anyway Im now looking for amp combinations for my new set-up. 

Im going to run 4 Infinity dvc 1030w 4ohm 250  rms subs

The sub amps i was looking at are Hifonics BX1500D - $240.00 plus shipping

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5713737022&rd=1

This amp is rated at 1500w x 1 at 1 ohm. 

Correct me if im wrong but 4 4ohm subs par = 1 ohm right?  If so the power output of say 1500w is divided by 4?

Second choice is TWO Hifonics ZX6000 2 channel amps. $160 each / $320 plus shipping for two

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5713737025&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

This amp is rated at 300w x 2 At 2ohm.

So my question is even though the first option would be less expensive, would it be better to run the 2 amps at a higher ohm rating or 1 amp at a lower ohm rating... .

Sorry about the long post but figured id try to explain!

Ya my radio sucks.
Oh by the way I cant spell!!!
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2004 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  

You are correct in regards to how the power is split.  One thing that I noticed is that you are going to be running 4 DVC subs.  This would give you multiple set-up options.  I am assuming that they are 4ohm per voice coil.  You can wire all of them up to present a mono amp with a 2-ohm load.  This would not give you the full 1500 watts but it will be cleaner than presenting the amp with a 1-ohm load. 

Or you can use two amps and wire each side to see a 2ohm load from the subs.

With all of this said it all depends on what you are looking for.  Is it clarity or boom.  Running a 1-ohm mono amp at 2 ohm might be cleaner than a stereo amp at 2ohm.  This is only because distortion increases with most amps when you come closer to there limits.

StlS_Ron 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2004 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
Makes sense.  Im looking for Spl with sq.  I dont want it to be real sloppy sounding.  So really the biggest differences we are looking at, between the two setups, is pushing the amp to its limits.  If thats the case the two amps would be better as they would not be being pushed so hard. . .  Do you know if the 1500d is truly 1ohm stable? 
Ya my radio sucks.
StlS_Ron 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

wait 4 dvc subs wired in parallel produces a 1 ohm load. . .  right?? how do you set it up for 2 ohm.  Parallal and series? 

Ya my radio sucks.
ANeonRider 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2004 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  

umm no, it would be a 8 or 2 ohm setup.

Series = 4+4 = 8

Parallel = 1/(1/4+1/4) = 2

ANeonRider 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2004 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

check that, it would be a 2 ohm setup wired with each sub in series and all the subs wired in parallel series parallel.

I hate being unable to edit posts

StlS_Ron 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2004 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
hmmmm . ok  gotcha.  Thatll work for a one amp setup. what about the difference in your opinion of running one amp or two?
Ya my radio sucks.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
I would run a one amp system, is is usually cheaper, takes up less real estate in the trunk, uses less wire. Find yourself a respectable amp that will deliver the needed output at 2 ohms mono. Wire each sub in series and then parallel wire the lot of them. An older Rockford 1500w mono amp would do just fine. I am not familiar with the Hifonics amp, so the jury is out on it.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
The Brutus is truley 1-ohm stable.  However, with your set-up you can only run it at a min of 2 ohms.  This would give each of your subs about 250 wrms.  Since this is a mono amp and design to run @ 1 ohm you shouldn't have any problems of over heating since you are not maxxing the amp out. 
StlS_Ron 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
you say the setup will only run min 2 ohm.   correct me if im wrong but run 4 subs 4 ohm each parallel = 1 ohm
Ya my radio sucks.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic