icon

What does box volume do to power handling

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beady 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  

I've been playing with enclosure types and volumes for one or two 10W3-D4's (which I already have). 

What I want: Low end extension, balance between SPL and SQ

What I've been throwing around:

Running ONE 10W3 in an ABC, DCR enclosure with 2-3 cubic feet volume tuned to 30 Hz (for the overall tuning frequency) and feeding it about 400 watts.

Running TWO 10W3's isobarically in an ABC, DRC enclosure with 2-3 cubic feet volume tuned to 30 Hz (for the overall tuning frequency) and feeding them about 300 watts total, 150 watts each.

Since the DCR design is just a ported enclosure with a divider (essentially, I know what they are and how to build one), if I don't like it I can always remove the center divider and I'll just have a single ported box tuned to the lower frequency.

OK, well I'll get to the point, lol.  If I go with the large 2 or 3 cubic foot ported (either/or) DCR enclosure, will the single JL10W3 be able to handle 300 or 400 watts?  If it can't take that power, I'll probably go with the isobaric configuration, as with my voice coil and amp combinations I have I'll still get more output than running one 10 on it's own.

So to recap, will a single JL10W3-D4 handle 300-400 (hopefully 400) watts in a 2-3 cubic foot vented enclosure?  Is there a rule of thumb for this sort of thing?

Thanks,

Mike

Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 2:47 AM / IP Logged  
Not sure of a rule of thumb or anything of that nature, but to answer your question, a bigger enclosure will reduce the power handling of the subwoofer.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
beady 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
http://www.termpro.com/articles/subwoof.html

Thanks, but I'm quite familiar with the specifics of enclosure building; I've built several systems with sealed, and 4th order enclosures over the last 15 years or so.

That link doesn't give any information on reduction of power handling from increased enclosure volume that I can see.

When modeling my enclosures in WinISD, SPL just goes up the more power I model being fed to the driver.  it doesn't seem to "know" when I'm overdriving the sub.  In a sealed box, more volume means a smaller "spring" behind the driver, but I'm sure you know that.  At the tuned frequency of a ported enclosure, power handling should be quite high, regardless of the volume as the port is doing most of the work with little cone movement at that point.

In an ABC/DCR enclosure tuned to say 30 Hz, there will be another tuned frequency at either 2 or 1.9 times higher(conflicting info), with a dip in between.  I'm not so worried at the peaks, but rather what happens to my power handling when I'm in the trough in between the peaks at about 45 Hz?

Thanks,

Mike

MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
Build the box to sub manufacturer's specs so they will be able to handle the most power possible.
boom, boom, boom boom....
beady 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  

MBZ oe wrote:
Build the box to sub manufacturer's specs so they will be able to handle the most power possible.

Wanting to use the amps and subs I alredy have. I won't be able to give the subs their full power handling capability anyway, so may as well go for efficiency and low bass extension.

Mike

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic