icon

Capacitor or not?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AccentShow 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
Ok all, I know capacitors are not the answer but got a question, I talked to my 2 installers at work and they both agree but wanted to get a few other opinions.
Ok, currently I am running a full MA Audio system, 10" DVC XE sub, mono block amp ( 400 W RMS @ 2 Ohms) and a 4 channel amp (120W RMS @ 4 ohms). I do not have any problems with lights dimming and I have all kinds of lighting on my car as well. The reason I want the cap is, I've tested my volts coming in and at times one is at 12 or 13 and the other is at 9-10, and vice versa, I just want the cap to try and regulate a little more power to the amps so they will be louder. The installers at work(I work at best buy, both of our installers have been doing installations for over 8 years) said it will get louder and sound alot better. The other reason I would like to get the cap is I'm considering either changing the 10 for a 12 or just picking up another 10(Opinions on that??) and again that would help on the power some. Thanks for all of your help!!!
AccentShow 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
1 other thing, if I add another 10 DVC, what would the best way to hook it up be for the best sound, again I have the mono block amp from Ma Audio, model is 1884i.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

You do not have any problems with lights dimming.  That is the reason people who use caps use them...to get power quicker to the subs on loud bass hits.  And most people buy into the idea that a cap is the first upgrade to use, which is not the case.  It doesn't sound to me like there is a problem with your system.  To get louder, choose all or some of the next things to do:  you could experiment with a different subwoofer enclosure or reposition it;  add more sound damping to the car;  upgrade your battery;  upgrade the ground cables at the battery and alternator;  what you already suggested, i.e. add more speakers for subs.

You'll be louder with two subs over one.  It'll also be louder with more power.  If you were at 800 watts plus and have already made all the upgrades suggested here along with a HO alternator, then you could look at adding a cap for help.  Until then, you will just be lining the pockets of the filthy rich.

That is just what I see by reading your post.  If the seasoned pro's at the shop think you should do it, then by all means go with their suggestions.  But if the system is no louder after you spent your hundred bucks, they'll still be there, won't they?  And won't you also ask them how to hook up another sub?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
AccentShow 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
Yea I will but it was on my mind so I figured I'd ask the pros...now I have been unable to find a HO alt for my car, part of the reason I'm trying to sell my car. Thanks for the advice, any other advice from people is appreciated.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  

(1) Friends don't let friends buy Sony.

(2) If it says Bose - it blows.

(3) say no to fat chicks.

(4) keep your stick on the ice.

(5) don't piss in the wind.

(6) meh - you get the picture.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
Caps have their place mainly due to an ESR lower than a battery, but most people use them as a band-aid for an inadequate charging system, the cap may be more useful for starting the car Capacitor or not? -- posted image.
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  

For an alternator, try alter-start

http://www.4alterstart.com/
Good prices, and good selection.  I just emailed him, and he gave me a good quote for mine a few weeks ago.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic