icon

Stereo Installation in a 1956 Chevy

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
2002sportside 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

I second that... I wouldn't cut anything to make a newer radio fit, I'd keep original and hide the newer system.  But, we don't know what shape the car truly is in just from a pic. 

BTW, 1955 appears to be the changeover year from 6v to 12v.  I honestly thought it was earlier than that...

cacheman2k 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the advise.  Man, I got a tough desision..  I love my stock setup, but I also love loud music.  I thought about it a lot last  night, if I keep running this 1000 W setup, I'm going to kill my generator for sure.  And that optima battery will only make matters worse by increasing the load on the generator.  I'm going to look into 1 wire altenators, I will probably have to build custom brackets for it somehow because I run an uncommon engine (original inline 6)  I already cut the dash for my stereo, I kinda regret it, but like I said I love loud music.  Thanks everyone
cacheman2k 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
I just re-read superflame's post.  I think he is on to something, If I have to build custom brackets anyway, I could leave my generator and original wiring alone, and add an alternator just for the stereo on an isolated circuit with the optima battery, I could even add another amp this way for some components.  There is an extra pulley on the crankshaft, so it might just work.  I will have to look closer at my car when I get home tonight, maybe take some pictures and see if anyone has some good ideas. 
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic