the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Tons of Tech Questions!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
Use the link Stevdart posted as a guide and wire for a total load of 4-ohms.  Your amp will be happy and it will sound just fine.  Be sure to reset all gains after changing the wiring.
Support the12volt.com
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
You need to set your amp's gain correctly, read the manual if you have too because that is one complex amp you have. I would leave your LOC's gain where it is and then adjust the gain on your amp.
rordway 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
at 4 ohms the amplifiers output will only be 500 watts, and each 15 has a 500 watt RMS value, so your saying it is ok to under power each sub by half of their RMS value?  I don't like pulling the subs in and out of the box wearing out the holes so  my other question would be, should I use some poly fill in this box? lots of db loss from30-120Hz, will this help? thanks Robert
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

You can get away with wireing up 1 VC on each sub and paralell them to get a 2 ohm load, i have done it many times, and i have contacted alpine about it, its safe to do so. Whell, not as safe as splittin the power over the 2 VC's, but i have never ever had a problem.

That amp will definately not go to 1 ohm, 1.5 ohm is the most iv gotten one down to without it shutting down from over current.  At 1 ohm to much power is drawn through the amp and the amp says No, and shuts down.

Also about your question about the 9835, , i loved it, best deck iv ever had, , almost to complicated, , but after you take the 2 hours to set it up, its very easy to use.  I no longer have it, , i sold it to a customer who offered me $300 more than what i paid for it, so im back to factory deck, and a LOC.  Im kinda glad i sold it, , cuz my elctrical system went on the fritz, my ignition wires turn to negative when the ignition is off, i can't belive my truck hasn't melted yet.

I'll get a new one once i get this problem fixed.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
rordway 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  

This is what I pulled up from JL's Tutorial on their site:

A common misconception with regard to dual voice coil speakers is the assumption that nothing changes if you power only one of the voice coils. With only one coil hooked up, a dual voice coil speaker will suffer a loss in reference efficiency of about 3dB (only half the coil windings are being energized) as well as a significant shift in its Thiele/Small parameters. This renders any enclosure calculations inaccurate unless you remeasure the speakers parameters with only one coil hooked up. Failure to account for the different parameters of a dual voice coil speaker with only one coil powered can result in very poor performance.

I guess I will try the 4 ohm load, if it doesnt work out for me I may go about trying this one coil method.......

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  

The RMS rating of a speaker indicates the maximum continuous power level that can be used safely.  Any RMS value up to the rating is OK to use.

Wire your system properly for 4 ohms, setup your amplifier and head unit properly, and then see what kind of sound you get before you start worrying about making more changes or modifications.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic