Posted: August 14, 2004 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  

any explosion stories??

im interested to here about kill stories.. never seen one or even smoke

Hunter S. Thompson for sheriff
ctravis 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
I installed a customers amp, and when I turned it on I herd a loud pop. I looked back and there was a very thick cloud of smoke. Its real fun to inform a customer that the amp they brought to you that worked before, just blew up. Even though it was no fault of my own. I guess it was just the poor things time to go.
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
I'm the shop tech/installer in a small town shop.I'm also a vol.fireman.I love selling and install kit and the"knowledgeable"customer just buys the 8 or 4 ga.wire w/o a fuse.I have had to put out 2 car fires because these idiots ran the wire through the door hinges and did not put a fuse near the battery.Hell of waste of two cars for a 8-15 dollar fuse holder and fuse don't ya think.Russ
BigDog
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
I literally melted this old amp I had. I installed it in the back of my old jeep and started to play some music. After about 2 min I noticed the bass was getting lower and lower, so I went back and the + and - terminals were litterally melting before my eyes. I turned off the power but it was WAY to late for that amp and my wires.
I also destroyed a little no name pair of woofers I put in my car the when I first go it. I hook some little 150 watt max 6" walmart woofers to a 500 watt RMS Rockford amp of a buddies. needless to say this voice coils SMOKED and they did so in style hehe.
I have tonz more, especially with subs burning up and stuff but I'll save those for later.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  

I know someone who blew up a cap from shoddy wiring. He had left a few strands sticking out of both the positive and negative terminals on cap which caused it to blow up while we were inside eating lunch. If he wouldn't have had his shop radio blasting then we probably would have heard the beeping alarm in cap. Luckily he took my advice and built a small box to enclose the cap, so there wasn't much of a mess.

Something I always do with my own caps is to wrap them with dynamat xtreme. #1 for the rattle, #2 for extra explosion protection like a bomb blanket. 

boom, boom, boom boom....
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

Most newer caps (or at least the quality ones) will not explode, they will simply ooze a battery acid like liquid.

MBZ oe 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
Thats why I will probably add another stinger SP battery to my trunk instead of a larger cap. Since they are dry-cell there would be no acid  mess if something terrible happened. I currently use an SP1700 as primary with 220amp alt.
MBZ oe 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thats why I will probably add another stinger SP battery to my trunk instead of a larger cap. Since they are dry-cell there would be no acid  mess if something terrible happened. I currently use an SP1700 as primary with 220amp alt.
MBZ oe 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  

Whoops..............

robb420in323 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

i have a Phenoex Gold 1.0 Farad