icon

subs popping

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
qwiktune 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  

im tryin to clean up onther ones mess so heres whats happenin, this guy has the new 12'' kicker L7's in a slot ported subzone box a JVC bp1200.1 amp. had the tinsel leads rip apart, loaned him old style L7" he heard poping sounds. so now i enter seen heard all this i said too muct power found bass boost and gains all the way up, turned them down, replaced loaned subs with new ones he came back with one speaker poping real loud. this guy has been coming back for similer probs blown sk dead head unit i have inherited a nite mare can any one help pull my hair out

butch

qwiktune 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  

i guess i never did say what i needed is this too much power for this app

thanks butch

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

Are you sure that is a JVC amp and not a JBL BP1200.1 amp?  If it is a JBL amp, what's the output voltage on his head unit's RCA's?  If it is 4 volts, then the gain on the amp will have to be turned down all the way for it not to clip.  My guess is even with the gain "turned down" it is still up to high and that popping sound is the amp clipping.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
if, it's not the jbl amp, maybe pull everything and start over (I'd bench test it while it's out to eliminate the equipment) I'd say the wiring in the dash is probably hacked (since he didn't go back to the original installer)
qwiktune 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  

it is the JBL (my bad)       the popping seemed to be in one sub which i thought the sub was bottoming out. the head was fairly tight but the RCA's were hooked up wrong (has two amps) but rest is a mess but if it is both subs is the JBL to much for the ported box should i go to sealed (this guy wants to hit hard).or does clipping mean bad amp

Butch

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
Clipping means bad settings on the amp or deck or both. You should set the gain properly, and almost always you should never have the gain all the way up (especially if you have a deck with a 4 volt preamp output). Also turn down that damn bass boost. The stupid kid probobly cranked it all the way up thinking he could get louder. unplug the bass boost  control if its not on the amp and if the control is located on the amp rip out the button and say thats how you fixed his problem. After you have set the gain right make sure and tell him to never mess with his gain and bass boost controls again, unless he wants blown subs.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic