icon

Pro-Installation vs. Do it yourself

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
honda_civic_si 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

What's the real difference between having "BEST BUY" or other services have it install it for you versus "Do it yourself" installation?

If it was your choice, what would you rather chooe?

What are the pros and cons?

I'm  just curious what really goes on in the back when they install your equipment for you.

vdubmk4 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
I would rather do it myself cause then i know its done right, or atleast the way i want it done, Pro-Installation vs. Do it yourself -- posted image.. But if your gunna do it urself be sure not to take the electrical tape approach and just tape the connections. I would definitely recommend using connectors from radio shack or the such. Also if ur installing a new Head unit or new speakers its a good idea to go ahead and replace the stock wires with some better ones. One of the cons i think is haveing to run a subs power line and getting it hidden, the pros use a snake i believe, whick is like a specialized rod, but you could prob get by with a coat hangar. Good Luck and ask lots of questions if you have to. There are gobs of ppl here that would love to help.
Fortune: You will continue to take chances, and be glad you did.
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
a subs power line?  hiding with a snake? huh?
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

The difference between having an installer put in equipment, and doing it yourself,  from the companys stand point, is to not have you returning stuff because it was improperly installed and burnt up.....and to make a few dollars in the process.....and well i would say if you know what you are doing, then by all means do it yourself

I would do it myself, because most radio installs are a piece of cake

and as far as what goes on in the install bay, that probably depends on what kind of car you have..ha

vdubmk4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
Subs power line = my wording for the positive wire from ur battery to ur amp, sorry i should have said amp power line. A snake is like a fancy coat hanger that allows you to push wires and things under the carpet in ur car. Also when you ground ur amp be sure to scrape off the paint on the part of the body you connect it too and to use a good conducting bolt, I wouldnt use a screw or sometin ghetto if i were you.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
For me,   A do it yourself install voids most warranties, myself I will normally not do a refund unless items are install by the shop.    I figure if you cant afford the base price of $25 for radios' amps' ect ect,   for your warranty through the shop you better know what you are doing and better hope that nothing happens that is a fluke s.k.s power surge things like that which no one can help
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
vdubmk4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah jeff is right. If you wanna keep ur warranty. But if you get things by other methods like flea markets (my favorite), or like freinds and stuff then i would defininitly opt to do it urself if not for the cheapness for the experience. Cuase then ur freinds will be like "dude can you install such and such and what not" and you can be like "dude pshhhh, of course . . . 20 bucks" and they will be all like "Hrmmm . . . OK!"

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
Definately get it professionally installed if you are unshure how things work, , that way to get a product, and an install warranty, you have the security knowing that it was done right.   Its easy for me to say this cuz im an installer, but if i wasn't one, and didn't know how to solder, , then id shure as heck bring it to a shop.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
vdubmk4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

Be sure to go to a good install place though if you go that route. I've seen some pretty odd and not so safe things done from cars that have returned from Best Buys install bay. I'd suggest like circiut city, car toys, or mobile one. I personally have never gone to any of them but several freinds of mine have gone to them and they seem to have done a pretty good job.

honda_civic_si 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

So I take it most people who come to this fourm can "do it themslef" eh. That's pretty cool.

The other day when i went to Best Buy to buy a HU, the salesmen ask me if i wanted the deck to be install by them. He suggested so many things to be installed cost to be about $50 and the labor would be another $50. I was "daym, i can do this myself." Don't BB usaully offer "FREE" installation? I always thought that they did. Salesmen there told me that I had to get a mounting kit in order for me to install it into my car which i didn't think i need it. And sure i was right. I don't need it. It fits right into my car without a problem.

Those of you who are professinal installers, what do you look for when installing? Is there a certin way that you install your equipment? I'm sure there are many different ways to install a HU, but what is the "PROFESSINAL" way of installing it without having to go to a professinal installer?

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic