icon

Is a cap worth it ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
A second battery will only let you run your system longer with the car off, or let you drain the second battery with the car off and your system playing instead of draining your main battery (so you can start your car).
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
IN GENERAL, Caps are a waste of money for most people.  So are extra batteries.  If you want to power a large system, a high-output alternator is the only solution that works.
Support the12volt.com
azidrane 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

I dont understand all of this CAP bashing. A cap is for holding onto large amounts of power to be used when the system needs to peak (eg, a large bass hit). Without this, when the amp needs the extra power, it has to get it directly from the battery. A battery is a device that is made for longterm slow power output, not really up to the task of delivering large amounts of power on demand. A cap on the other hand is short term power  holding for very fast dissapation. Which is kinda what you want when the amp says "gimme some power, i gotta make some bass". I dont know what you guys have been running in your systems, but i run atleast 2 one f caps on a 600 watt rms amp Every time. and it make a HELLA difference in bass responce and distortion reduction.

thats my take.

switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  

They arent saying caps dont work, but they are band aids for electrical systems with not enough power...How much is a 1 farad cap retail these days..like $150 - $200 beans?  You can add a couple more dollars to that and get a high output alternator and solve all your problems..

2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
1 Memphis 3-way electronic crossover
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s
azidrane 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  

I don’t understand all of this CAP bashing. A cap is for holding onto large amounts of power to be used when the system needs to peak (e.g., a large bass hit). Without this, when the amp needs the extra power, it has to get it directly from the battery. A battery is a device that is made for long-term slow power output, not really up to the task of delivering large amounts of power on demand. A cap on the other hand is short term power holding for very fast dissipation. Which is kind of what you want when the amp says "gimme some power, I gotta make some bass". I don’t know what you guys have been running in your systems, but I run at least 2 one f caps on a 600 watt rms amp every time. and it makes a HELLA difference in bass response and distortion reduction.

That’s my take.

azidrane 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
switch_hitter wrote:

They arent saying caps dont work, but they are band aids for electrical systems with not enough power...How much is a 1 farad cap retail these days..like $150 - $200 beans?  You can add a couple more dollars to that and get a high output alternator and solve all your problems..

Yes, a high output alternator would help out allot by putting more power into the circuit, but does it solve the problem of quick high power consumption by the amps? This is one thing that sets most amps apart from others is their amount of power capacity built in. Isn’t it obvious that by adding an external cap, their would be no more problem with power deficiencies?

switch_hitter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

Caps can help out a system greatly, but in my opinion the correct approach would be to get an alternator, and then a cap....if needed....but you are right about them helping when there are quick high power draws ...but they dont necessarily "solve power deficiencies".

2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s
azidrane 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

Good point. I agree.

Where can one find a Hi output alternator and what defines a Hi output alternator?

switch_hitter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
You can search on Ebay, thats where i bought mine. Sometimes you call around to local shops that deal with alternators and you can get them to "deuce" yours up... (add more copper coil) which increases the output. Only bad thing about this route is normally the shop won't warrantee the work. Personally i define Hi Output as 200amps and above...
2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s
promodeepcycle 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
actually a cap will help you to lose 1-1.5 db ... if you want an honest answer... what are you running.. ? and in what car .. where are the amps.? what size cabling? notice you dont see caps in db cars. ?"spend 150$ on a cap or 150 on a batt.?  let me hear what you got..
dont be a pet monkey ..use your dmm
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic