icon

Alarms Installations Tips & Tricks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vncasanova 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  

Whats up guys, Im new to this whole car alarms concept. Please bear with me if i sound a little redundant. I was wondering that when i install alarms,are there any things that i should remember, I mean in terms of safety and smooth operations. So far i only installed one alarm on my 91 integra and I am not even sure if I left out anything or should have done something that I didnt do. I think my integra was little bit easy because there isnt much to do. For example, when i install on a car, i have the car diagram in front of me, should i still test for the correctness of the wires (are there any safety measures that I should be awared of when testing wires in a car). After I have connected all the wires, are there any more measures that I should still be awared of. Please give some tips and tricks in installing car alarms. Thanks a lot in advance...

Drey 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
the best tip is....... practice.... everyone finds thier own way of doing things. when you're starting out... just take the extra time to make things look right.  like knowing where you're going to mount your brain so that you can the the right wire lengths and pre-wire your brain correctly.  look at the factory wiring... notice the paths... you want this stuff to be as seamless as possible.  this is just rambling.... it's late :)
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
Please Please Please use a multimeter when using testing the wires! Mutlimeter will become your best friend if you use it right. I usually mount my brain first then make the connections that way i can cut the wire to length while in the car. That way when your done you'll have a clean install.
vncasanova 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  

Hi, normally i just use a test light instead of a multimeter because i am totally lost when it comes to testing wires with the multimeter. can someone help me out on this one. So i should not be using the test light at all when testing the wires, thanks for the responses guys....

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
DO NOT USE A TEST LIGHT! you can damage the car's computer....a meter is very easy to use and as time goes by, you will get better with it......as always, you can turn to us if you have any questions or problems............GOOD LUCK!
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
ppl above prolly stated all the safety, but ill give some other tips for you and others might want to get into alarm isntalaltions.
***heres my tips for a success and clean instalaltion:
1.get a techsheet or diagram
2.DMMeter ur suspected wire according to ur techsheet or diagram and mark it however you like (tape, marker...)
-assuming youre familiar w/ the alarm's diagram:
3.mount ur antenna, LED, valet, shocks sensor, antitheft bypass (if needed)
4.know which wire youll need and which you dont need and cut it(short), so you dont have all those wire there to confuse you.
4a.separate all the wires according to its route.
5.use split looms to insulate the wires, cause it easier to access if you happen to need another wire _taken out_ from the bundle or another wires (like antenna, LED, valet, shock sensor) _wrap into_ the bundle. this will save the mess of wires running everywhere under the dash.
6.after all the wires are ran to its place, tap them in(not t-taps) and solder them one-by-one.
NOTE:if you happen to run some wire to the fender area, note that water might get in. for example on the late model, honda civic and acura RSX. caulk it!!
-use a bicycle brake line for ur fishing line through wire walls or door boots. very useful tool, i think its VelocityMotor's idea.
thats the best way i used and everything looks like stock, well not really, but very close.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
vncasanova 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, so i should not be using t-taps at all because that is what i am using right now with my alarms stereo installations, please give me an advice on this one, thanx guys
ocbaud 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

vncasanova wrote:
Hi, so i should not be using t-taps at all because that is what i am using right now with my alarms stereo installations, please give me an advice on this one, thanx guys
t-taps are very easy to spot and just make it easier for a thief to know what wires to cut/unplug.  if you solder everything in place, you can make the whole installation look a lot cleaner and closer to factory so that they dont know what goes to what.

godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  

draasch wrote:
DO NOT USE A TEST LIGHT! you can damage the car's computer....a meter is very easy to use and as time goes by, you will get better with it......as always, you can turn to us if you have any questions or problems............GOOD LUCK!

I have a test light thats fuse protected.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic