icon

Glassing the Inside or outside?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

Im sure this question has been asked many times before. But what do u think it's best to do, glass the outside or the inside of the enclosure.

If you take a look at the pic below, I know a shop that uses MDF as a base (brown) to start off with. Then they actually cut out a section of the wooden base (red) once they've made the shape of the enclosure on the outside. They leave about 3 inches around the bottom of the base when they cut around, and remove the MDF piece and start reinforcing/glassing the enclosure from the inside. The box was for 2 15's, to there was plenty of room to glass the inside from the bottom opening of the enclosure..

Glassing the Inside or outside? -- posted image.

I asked if that involved more work, but the guy told me no it really wasnt, it just saves a whole lot of time sanding the outside once bodyfiller is added to the smoother surface from the fleece used to form the shape. Im sure many people think its true, Im sure there's more work involved when sanding down the box when it's glassed from the outside because the surface is a little rougher. Any opinions on this?

I actually wanted to try this on the box im workin on now. I was gonna fleece the mold I already made, then cut open a big enough section to glass the inside and then replace it, and seal it up around the cut with a few layers of glass...good or bad idea?

Im a fiberglass whore!!
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
good idea...... as long as theres just as much glass on the inside, then take advantage of the smooth surface that fleece generaly leaves...
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
That will work but can add more work and weaken the box if you don't bond the cut piece properly. In that situation I prefer to just work through the woofer holes. I can still reach all of the corners but I don't have to worry about cutting and re-bonding the MDF. That's how I do it but whatever works for you is fine too.
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

CarAudioHelp wrote:
That will work but can add more work and weaken the box if you don't bond the cut piece properly. In that situation I prefer to just work through the woofer holes. I can still reach all of the corners but I don't have to worry about cutting and re-bonding the MDF. That's how I do it but whatever works for you is fine too.

I thought working through the subwoofer holes would be good enough too, but sometimes you have some oddly shaped enclosures that makes little corners hard to reach.  I guess you just have to make the decision based upon individual enclosures.

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

ya... it can be a pain... check out how i made this part of a trunk rear wall:

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=29540&KW=s%2D10

I filled the back after finished matting inside.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic