icon

Home audio crossovers in a car with a amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lornehowlett 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
I have a crossover setup from an old house speaker lying around. I think its what you call a passive crossover..., its not powered, just two speaker wires going in, and 6 coming out. I also have two hi speakers, 2 subs, and 2 nice mids, and a 200 watt bridgeable amp ( 2 ohm stable, but I think it likes 4 ohms better). I was curious if I can run rca cables from my deck to the amp, then for the output run into the crossover setup, and split from there to the 6 speakers (which are each 4 to 8 ohms). Will I destroy the amp? Will I destroy the crossover (which was probably meant for like 50 watts I'd guess... tiny wire) Will my impedance be too low? Can I calculate the impedance the same way as I normally would? and does each frequency range get its own impedance calculation? (so the 8 ohm hi's get hooked up in parallel, and the 4 ohm subs are hooked up in series?) I think I'm out of my league here, but I'd like to learn.
Thankx, Lorne
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.partsexpress.com/resources/xover.html is a crossover component selection guide.  You would look at the capacitors on that board and determine, using this chart, what they are supposed to do.  It is not a good idea to try that with your car audio system.  There is not a chance at all that the crossover you found in the basement will have a positive effect on your car system.  It's not worth hooking it up just for the fun of the experiment. 

The problem is you don't have the proper amplification for your speakers and subs.  You probably should be using that amp for the speakers and looking for a sub amp.  When you connect that system up to work off that one little amp, you will never be satisfied with the result, whether you built crossovers or not.

Until you get another amp, the best thing to do is run the speakers off the head and run the subs off the amp.  What ohm resistance do your subs parallel to?  Or series?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
zane9000 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

go here https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross.asp to read somthing that will help you understand how they work. also on that page there is a link to a calculator that will calcuate which component you will need for a certain frequency on a particular speaker.

one thing you have to watch out for is that using a passive crossover for a 8ohm speaker will cross different frequencies than when hooked to a 4ohm speaker.

also you were talking about hooking up speakers in parallel and in serries, keep in mind that when you hook up speakers in parralel you reduce the impeadance and when you hook them in serries you add the impeadance up. https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp this is a good calculator for that. when you get your total impeadacne load you will need to use that to decide if your amp will handle it and use it in your passive crossover calculations.

listen to stevdart when he tells you.. well anythying... but in this case when he says its a really bad idea to run subs and your other speakers off the same amp.

hope i helped or atleast was able to add somthing to stevdarts comments and not just waste your time :)

good luck

I had Cheetos and wine for dinenr.
Lornehowlett 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you stevdart and zane9000.   I was thinking hoping that you'd say to run the subs in parallel (both 4 ohm),  yielding 2 ohms,  the two hi's -- 8 ohms each yield 4 ohms, and do something else with the mids, and since its a 200 watt amp at 4 ohms, pushing some at 2 and some frequencies at 4 It would be a bit more than 200 amps... and my deck is 200 watts, so now i'm up to 400 right? thinking that would be enough to fill the cab of my truck... but ya you make a good point stevdart, I could just use it for subs.

The only thing then is I'd have to make a special crossover for my hi's and mids.  I'll look into the frequencies of it tomorrow, and figure out exactly what it does for the fun of it, but i'll skip hooking it up...

thankx again stevdart and zane9000

zane9000 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  

what kind of deck do you have and what is the ohm/watt rating of your highs and mids? making a crossover really isnt as hard as it sounds, in fact for 1st order crossovers all you have to do is up a cap or inductor in line with the + terminal of the speaker. also you usually do not have to worry about putting low pass filters on your mids and almost never on your highs. the main thing you are going to want to do is block out alot of the bass so your speakers wont distort when you crank the volume that means puting one cap in line with each speaker which really isnt all that bad.

its actually funny you wanted to do this right now. about 2 days ago i hooked up some home audio speakers to my car stereo. it was a 8 ohm high and 8 ohm mid wired together through a crossover and ran it off my deck (50 watts per channel) and it sounds great.

anyway good luck and if you get some specifics on each speaker and your deck we may be a bit more help.

~Warren

I had Cheetos and wine for dinenr.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic