icon

'88 honda civic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deadfantasies 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
I have an '88 honda civic, i am not 100% sure but i think i have a 60 amp alternator (it was a remanufactured 60 dollar alt) and i want to know what kind of amp i can push with it without hurting my system or having to spend lots of money in equipment or modifieing the car. kind of new but will understand most anything u can say
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

Depends what you're looking for. 

You could run your front and optional rear speakers right off the deck, keep the lows filtered out and then just have one mono block to run one or two subs.  I did this in my 89 si and it sounded really good. I ran a stereo amp putting out about 400W.  The car is small, you get a nice tight sound. But the options are pretty much endles.  I'm not really too sure about maximum power before you run into a power draw, but it (again) depends what you are looking for.  If you are looking for earth sattering bass you won't find it in that alternator / battery combo that comes with the car.  If you don't want bra snapping, panty dropping bass, but clean sound at higher volume, wire up a decent 4 channel amp for the front and rear speakers and then just a minimal mono or two channel bridged for one sub.

cd2478 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

get amps which have low fuses, say 15 or 20amps ;)

dont go getting amps with 30amps or higher fuses as if you try running 2 of these your bound to run into troubles.

calculating current draw this way is very rough but it should give you a rough idea just by going of what kind of fuse the amplifier has can give you a very rough estimate of what kind of power it is going to draw(very rough) but i think it will be sufficient in your case ;)

deadfantasies 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
if u saw my post earlier i have a kenwood amp rated at 75 watts x 4 @ 4 ohms RMS, atm i have a 200 watt 2 channel amp (probly like 50 watt rms) hooked up to 2 6x9 speakers behind the seat. i have several speakers and subs i can put in, but need to get smaller speakers for the doors, i just dont wanna go out and have to spend 200 bucks for a ho alt if i can't run this amp.
Jay T 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  

You should be fine with those amps with no real power draw problems.  Hook up the Kenwood 75 x 4 to your four speakers front and rear.  Then find out what the 200 W amp can run at.  IE 2ohm stable. / bridgeable. / stereo etc.  Then figure out the best way to wire the sub(s) to it.

deadfantasies 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
well, if i was to go by the last guys post it has a 60 watt (32v) on the power cord, and has 4 20A fuses on the amplifier itself. i have heard both ways that it should be fine, and that it would draw too much power
Jay T 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
4 20 amp fuses on the 4 channel?
deadfantasies 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

they are on the back of the amp for extra protection i believe. I dont think this was a cheap amp being kenwood and knowing the person that had it.

It is kinda weird since i have jumped a backo with those huge batteries (not all the way drained). the tractor wouldn't quite turn over, so i hook it up for a min, dont even rev it and it will start up, although one time when the battery was shot i did set it there for a good 10-20 mins reving it a bit, sometimes letting it sit and that thing would not start...

deadfantasies 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
yes, the 4 20 watt fuses are on the back of the 4 chaneel amp, also if i was going to go the route of adding a ho alternator, does it drain any power to add, or would it stay the same.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic