icon

custom fiberglass questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gtown installer 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 4:25 AM / IP Logged  

hey guys, I have done a handful of projects with fiberglass but most of them have been just boxes molded into trunks, and basic custom trunks.  I want to expand my ability for glassing so I have been researching other techniques.  I have a couple questions about certain products that I heard about.  I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help clarify some of these products for me, such as what they are and where I can get them.

1.Icing? It looked like a white filler type substance, have no idea what it is

2.liquid plastic? something I would really like to get a hold of, looks like a easy way of forming things

3.ca glue? have no clue

4.Another thing I seen was that after the installers finished forming something they "textured" their projects to give it that stock texture, or like the texture of dash kits.  I would really like to know how they texture their projects

Thanks for any advice and answers you guys might have.  If you could also inform me as to where I can pick these products.  Stay creative!                               THANKS Y'ALL

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

1. Icing is a brand name for a drywall filler type composistion...  just like a regular body filler but very easy to sand. Icing doesn't offer any structural support. always start with a reinforced type filler first.... icing is just to get a smooth surface fast.

2. Just like it sounds. It's a structural filler that is made to bond to plastic surfaces. There a hundreds of different liquid plastics. Same type of results can be achived with duraglass.

3. ca glue. I have no clue either.... i see no reason for it.... never needed it yet.  I use crazy glue for quick holding and helmiprene for surface bonding (the BEST spray adhesive).

4. The most common texture application is SEM texture coat..... good stuff but you need to test match it, more often than not, the finish doesn't match. This really sucks.

You can get any of these products from a METRA dealer, metra carries the Fishman line of custom install accessories. These are not alway Fish brand, but they are specially selected products in your area by fishman himself. You can trust it's the right stuff if you order this way. And it's a hell of alot cheaper than Select products.

Any other questions?  just fire away.... there happens to be some real fabricaton geeks on here

CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
1. Another name for glaze which is a very thin body filler that isn't prone to pinholes. Used to fill pinholes in regular body filler.
2. Used to bond plastics together and for bonding plastic to another material such as wood. Normal body filler doesn't work well so you need to use something like 3M 05883 (Automix line).
3. You can find this at hobby shops. Basically it's super glue (cyanoacrylate = CA). The cool thing about it is that you can spray it with a separate hardener and it bonds almost instantly. No waiting for the glue to grab.
4. 3M and SEM both make texture spray. Any auto body supplier will have it. That goes for items 1 and 3 as well.
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
thanx CarAudioHelp
r0yal 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
Whats the part # for 3M's Texture spray???? :) thx
CarAudioHelp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
They've got a couple. There's the 05911 clear (fine to medium) but they also have 05910 tan (medium to coarse).
r0yal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
Thx, I'll check it out!
r0yal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Hmmm, must be an American product, its not in my computer system, or the 3M book..... oh well, I'll look further into it.
CarAudioHelp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
r0yal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
ooooh ok, Rocker Panel spray.. yeah, we got that at work..time to get some :-D!! haha thx
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic