icon

one 2ch + one 4ch vs one 4ch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
turboman 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

what is better? a combination of 1 bass 2ch amp and a 4 ch mid/high amp versus a more powerful 4 ch amp with 2 channels on bass/bridged or not and the other two on mids/highs?

thanks

cornfedmancow 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  

turbo, if you can afford it this is what I would do.

get yourself a class d mono amp (DEI 250D or 600D or similar retails for around$300) and dedicate it to your subwoofers. Then two ways to go depending on the number of mids and highs.  In my old truck I had a set of Components in the kicks and a set of 6.5" Bostons  in the doors.  I was running a 4-channel to all six front stage with 2 channels to the componnets and 2 channels to the doors.  or if you are running limited front stage (I.E. one set of coax or a set of components go with a two channel and a set of cross overs.

Ideally (if you have the $$$$$ and the room) I would run a Class D Mono to the subs, run them in parrallel or series, one 2 channel for the mids, one tow channel for the tweets. It will give you alot better control and if you upgrade to another set you can just hook them up to the amps.

LOL 

Eagles may soar - but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
This would depend solely on the vehicle, the equipment to be operated and of course, your budget. Post up the needed info and then we can send you one way or the other.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
cornfedmancow 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with forbidden, if you can post the specs on your system, car type, budget, etc. we should be able to get you  list of maufacturers and wire diagram. 

I also simply like the idea of seperate power for each set of components. one 2ch + one 4ch  vs one 4ch -- posted image.

turboman 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

hey guys, thanks for your replies. i was thinking along the lines of a rockford 500S and a 300X or going with an 800X and powereverything. everything being either a pair of rockford 10's or 12's, 4 pioneer 3 way speakers and four tweeters. hope this helps.

thanks again

turboman 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
ohh forgot my car is a 96 mazda 626.
cornfedmancow 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

OK, 1996 Mazada 626 Sedan:

Just a list, by no means do you need to buy all Rockford Hardware, but you will like it. I myself am not a Pioneer or Sony guy, but everyone has a preference.

1 - Punch P6001bd Mono Subwoofer Amp - 400X1 @ 4Ohms, 600X1 @ 2Ohms.

2 - Punch P310D4 - 10 inch Dual 4Ohm - will handle 400 watts RMS - 0.65 FT3 per sub in sealed box

1 - Punch P4004 - Component Amp - 50X4 @ 4Ohm, 100X4 @ @Ohm - 1 channel per component

2 - (pairs) of Punch P152S - 5.25 Component speakers - 60wattsRMS and 100 watts Peak.  1 set for front doors, 1 set for rear deck. Each comes with a cross over.

if you are feeling "FRISKY" give fiberglassing a try, check out http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/ for information on glassing basics for a custom sub enclosure for the corners of your trunk. 

This system will make your ears bleed.  The 50X4 will  be sufficient to run any front stage and rear stage, unless you go way hihg end.  By no means do you need to get the components listed, it shoudl run you about $1,500 from www.Sounddomain.com or you could go for a bass package deal for around $300-$400 and get a set of cheap components.

Cornfed out

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

I use 4 channel amps whenever i can, just to keep it simple.  All three of my cars use a components upfront, sub in the back setup.  The sub is a single subwoofer in each car.  Unless your going for HUGE spl then I would buy one really good sub over two lesser ones.  I personaly ditch the rear stage and get the best components i can upfront.  More speakers does not  = more sound.  Quality and power come into the equation.  Nothing wrong with using several amps, just more time, more set up, more hassle.  With one 4 channel you can choose one place for the amp and adjust it from that one spot. Also, you are not taking up space and running wires here and their to power all of the amps.

I have no beef with any of the systems explained in this post, each of them will be fine and you'll get plenty of SPL (assuming you set it up correctly).

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  

Have you looked into a 5 channel?  4 full range plus a sub channel.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic