icon

sub firing direction

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Ok ya'll I would like some input before I make my final decision. I am working on my Suburban and want to know which way you think I would get the best sound out of my subs. Currently I have 2 18's firing up, and 3 12's firing forward. I want to know if you think I would get better response having the 18's firing back or what. Any ideas would be great. I am building a new custom fiberglass enclosure so I want your input or ideas. Thanks!!
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
To start with, I don't have an answer to your question, but instead I have a question.
How many watts do that take?
How many dB's do you et out of that?
And dont that hurt your ears??
Paul
Oh, and how much did all that dynamat cost??
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
an idea, though possibly costly as well, is to find some way, or make temp/ box's and test which direction youe vehicle recieves the best sound from the driver seat, then you could build your fiberglass in that form.
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
as for watts, I have 1000 watts going to each 18 and 600 going to each 12. as for hurting my ears, no. I love it and who cares about hearing. you only live once so why not use them as much as possible. as for dynamat, i haven't finished but it has already cost a lot!!
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
All I've got to say is DANG!!
Are you building for a SPL comp?? I'm sure you could probablly win a few.
Paul
axonal 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  
Rather than positioning the subs straight up or straight forward, try positioning them at an angle. From my experience this seems to help distribute the bass more. Im not 100% sure on why this is but, I believe it to be that if you have it straight up and down, you would simply be cancelling out the wave coming from the sub when it reflects off the ceiling, same when they are pointing forward. By positioning it at an angle, it allows it the wave to bounce around a bit more increasing it's range. This is atleast what I think it could be though. It worked in my Tahoe with my four 12s.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
Just did this the other day in my 95' Suburban.  Have played with two subs and got two different results.  The first is a ported JL 10w3,  I've tried it in every way possible, and it sounds best facing the rear, pushed back against the rear seat.  The second in a Blaupunkt  Pro Comp in a Bandpass enclosure with a slotted port.  Again, i tried it every way possible, up front against the seat (left, right, up, front, angles...ect.) and pushed to the back (same directions as before).  This sub sounds best with the slot straight up and in the middle of cargo area.  My wife and I agreed on that.  The subs sounded their worse when I faced them forward in each test.  In short, try everything you can think of, and then try some more.  Move the boxes around and look at what others have done for ideas.
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

Try facing your subs toward the rear. 

I was listening to a burban a while back with 2 15 Kicker L7's and a custom ported box facing the rear.  Each sub was powered by a RF800.  The subs pounded to the point where the door panels flexed..

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic