icon

12v relay connected to cell phone

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blingo 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

i got some aftermarket fog lights, with wireless controller, they are cyberwhite ones.  the wireless controller controls a relay that turns on and off the lights.  that would be much wiser then using a cellphone and having to pay to use it everytime.

all the wireless relay setup is, a 2 button wireless remote (on/off)  then a box that is basically just a relay, with a little wire antenna, would be very simple to connect for what you need to do

markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
blingo, I think that might not suit wifi's purpose because he wants to be able to control this relay via remote (long distance). The wireless switch you have for the relay for your forlights is most probably a very short range, just a few feet or more but not work wirelessly from miles away.
blingo 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
well i believe it says its a quarter mile range, depending on antenna posistion,, so you can find your car in a parking lot, i was thinking he would be in the same place as the radio he needs to reset, just didnt want to get up and reset it
wifi 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Blingo, Markcars is correct. A remote as the one you say has a couple hundred feet range, at best. I want to be able to do this from another state if I have to. Two of the repeaters are about an hour's drive for me and 2-1/2 hours for my brother. By the time you are 100' from the repeater, not much point for a remote control. They sell equipment similar to this(without the timer feature) that are connected to beepers, for several hundred dollars. The price itself is not the problem, there is NO PAGER coverage at the sites. I think this could be done for less than $100.
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

I agree that this could most certainly be done for under $100. The quickest may just be your idea of 2 calls with specific timing. Do you already have the cell phone you plan on using?

Honestly If I were doing this I would probably just get a cheap phone that has a vibrator motor in the battery (do they still do it like that?) then just rip apart the battery. Then I would just program a microcontroller for the specific timing and hook it to the motor then use the output to drive a transistor and relay. Total cost would probably be around $10-$15 excluding the phone cost.....

Although it may be more elegant to get the phone and use a serial link and microcontroller (or PC) then just call and give a specific passcode type system on the keypad

good luck

wifi 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
Hello Xetmes, let me brag about my knowledge, you just went over my head. I actually have a phone that I can use, Motorola 205, it does vibrate, it does ring(very loudly), and the screen lights up whenever it gets a call. The way I figured, I have three potential methods of connecting a relay to the phone. From what I understand, the phone's batt is 4.1-4.3v(the internal parts more than likely are lower voltage), the radios are on a 12v system. Install a relay in the +side of the radios feed, connect the other side of the relay to anything on the cellphone with enough power to trip the relay when it rings, RESULT === phone rings, trips relay, radios lose power momentarily(while phone rings), radios reset :):). Why all this trouble you ask? Murphy's las dictates that I will need to reset the radios at the least oportune moment.
The timer thing is over my head, for now. The info I am looking for, is what type of relay do I need? I know that if I go to Radio Shack, they are going to be more lost/ignorant the I am.
xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  

I would just use an automotive relay (automotive forum lol) simply because they are cheap, handle 30A (or 40), and since you have a 12V system you can easily drive it. But I would drive this with a BJT (transistor), this way its cheap and will not draw the power a relay needs from the phone, plus cheap BJTs can be had at any radioshack or electronics store (like a 2n3904 or 2n2222) for like $1, you will also need a resistor for the base of the transistor, a 1K ohm will be fine...total cost: relay: ~$1, transistors (only sell packsof around 5): ~1, resistor,pack of a few: ~1, total ~$3

If you really wanna be non-invasive maybe you could get a cadmium sulfide cell (like used in those little light sensitive photo-eyes), or a small solar panel and make a little thing to set the phone right down on, that way it would detect the light from the screen and you dont need to do anything to the phone...

wifi 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Xetmes, that sounds resonable. Any Idea where I might find a sketch to something like you describe?
Any sugestions for the timer, or should take it just one step at a time?
xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

which idea? opening it up and going that way is just a resistor to the positive activated lead, to the base of the transistor, emitter of the transistor to ground and collector to relay, other relay coil lead to +12 with a diode across the coil.

for a light activated switch this is a very simple way to do it:

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/actrelay.htm  (circuit on the left)

one thing you could do if you want to go with the timer and dual call idea is use a 555 timer in monostable mode, what this will do is start a timer when activated and stay on for a certain period of time. You could then use some latch circuitry so that you would have to call back in a certain period of time, just a general idea of an idea, I would just use a microcontroller that way I could just do all the light sensing and timing in one chip that costs about ~1

good luck

wifi 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hello Xtemes
Thanks, the site you sent me to has a lot of potential. There are a couple of designs that look promising. Thanks a lot for the info
Chele
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic