speaker noise with new amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rabs 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 5:55 AM / IP Logged  
hi guys,
i just installed a new sony 2 channel amp to my stereo, which consists of a sony 50w x4 head unit and two 80w 4 inches in the front (which i dont use because they distort to quickly) and two 230w 6by9s in boxes in the back.  At first it worked great but a few days later i noticed a small interference noise coming from my back left speaker, but it wasnt happening all the time. i told my friend and he said it was probably blown, so i went and bought two new kenwood 300w 6x9s today and put them in the boxes but found the noise was still there but not all the time, just every now and then. i installed it myself and its the first time i'd ever installed anything on my car, but i followed the directions correctly. the speakers sound great and ive fiddled around with it a bit to troubleshoot and find the problem but i dont really know what to look for.
any help would be great thanks heaps :)
rabs 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 6:20 AM / IP Logged  
ok just read up on a few posts and realised that sony stuff isnt the greatest, but its wot ive got now and i just want to get the most out of it, if i get rid of that stupid noise ill be one happy camper!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
First off, if your front 4" speakers distort too quickly, it's probably because they need a high-pass filter on them.  Get a set of "bass blockers" at about 180 or 200 Hz and connect to them.  As far as "noise" in one of the rear speakers, what kind of noise and what do you mean by "its not happening all the time"?  What makes it happen?   I suggest you check your wiring and make sure all the connections are correct and tight there is no chance for a stray strand of wire to touch ground.
Support the12volt.com
vdubmk4 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
You might need to get an interference filter for the speaker. Sometimes the speaker/wiring can pick up other frequencies and currents from its surroundings. I think what you need is called a rectifier although don't quote me on that, you can pickem up at radio shack.
Fortune: You will continue to take chances, and be glad you did.
rabs 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  

the noise just sounds like interference as if one of the speaker wires is loose but i have checked it about 4 times and put new speaker wire to it as well. What i mean by not happenin all the time is that sometimes its fine and the sound isnt there, but then it will start to happen and really only on the bass beats.

How much do bass blockers usually go for?
thanks heaps for your ideas!

zane9000 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

Bass blockers can be picked up from Circuit City for about $10 if memory serves. as far as needing an interferance filter dont ask radio shack for a rectifier because they will give you a diode and that would just make your problems worse. my radio shack has 'automotive electrical noise filters' but that is to go between your deck and the power supply, so again not exactly what your looking for. if its only when the bass hits i would guess its one of two things:

1) the speakers are distorting just a little bit throw the bass blockers that your going to buy for your from speakers on your 6x9's and see if that solves the problem if it does then i would recomend geting some caps (thats all bass blockers are) that will take out the very bottom end maybe around 60-70hz and experiment a bit to see if you can get rid of the noise

2)the speakers are vibrating on the box or the box is vibrating on somthing or it has a loose joint etc... pull the speakers out of the box and hold them by the magnet. see if you can reproduce the noise when the speakers are out of the box.

~Warren

I had Cheetos and wine for dinenr.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

rabs wrote:
but then it will start to happen and really only on the bass beats.

So-called noise "really only on the bass beats" usually tells me you are over-driving the speakers or the amplifier.   Does it happen only when yu turn it up?  You say you are using Kenwood 6X9s which (depending on which ones they are) should handle 75 to 100 watts RMS and play down to about 60Hz.  What's your amp?

Support the12volt.com
rabs 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 4:05 AM / IP Logged  

The noise is there wether i play it loud or soft, u just hear it a bit more when its loud, and it starts not when im turning it up, but just out of the blue whilst playing. my amp is a 2 channel sony amp 250 w.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

DYohn 
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
A Sony?  The amp could simply be defective.  Take it back.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic