Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
My friend's amp has a "high level input"
it is a little square port with four pins in it, each in its own little section
I am guessing this is just another form of line level inputs, but how do you use it?
could you just run wires from the the two door speakers, each to one of the four cooresponding spots on this one? only you would need the male connector for it I gather
my friend wants to use this to wire up his amp without installing a new hu and thus using rca's
would this work for him?
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

Don't ever use those.....ever.

Just buy a LOC and step the high level down to line level and use the line level inputs.  But a decent quality LOC too, it shouldn't cost much more than $25. I'm no expert on brands or whatever, but I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction. 

Why not tap into the speaker wiring behind the HU? probably easier than going into both doors.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hmmm, I use those high level inputs all the time for factory systems. Very seldom do we have compatibility isses with the factory stereo. This jack is indeed the high level or speaker level input. The 4 pins are usuallt + - - + for the inputs. A quick check on the amp if it labelled or a check in the manual will verify this. If you do not have the molex that plugs in it, head into the local shops, they should have some kind of moles that will plug into it.

That said though, the outboard LOC is still a superior way to go. The better ones can take a much higher wattage input signal (not that you need it with most factory systems) and usually have a gain setting on them as well.  The scosche LOC80 is one of these. I too would go to behind the cd player to source my signal from, unless it is a factory amplied system, then I would source it at the amp.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
I am sorry, LOC? (not sure what you are talking about)
as far as getting the source wires, if it is a factory amplified system, what would you do? cut the wires coming from the deck to the amp, and solder ones then going to the amp from that, or the wires from the amp to the rest of the speakers?
I ask because the system should be factory amped, but the amp might be situated in the deck for that year, its an explorer and at one point they decided to integrate the hu and the amp.
xavierny25 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/loc.asp

this is a link to what u will need to do this install hope this helps

Dutchtouch 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

High Level Inputs are usually used when adding a Amp to a system with a Factory Deck, when no RCA outputs are available.

All you have to do is Tap into a speaker for the signal to the amp.

Be sure when you tap in to a speaker for a signal, to use a Mid range speaker NOT a tweeter as a tweeter will not have a full signal going into it and thus neither will your amp.

Hope this helps,

Dutch

First Class M.E.C.P. Certified & 310K Licensed
Electronic Installer
icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
so why would you need that "LOC" thingy
is it just a converter from line level to RCA? how does that help you?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic