icon

Amp Current Draw with one sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
Rob asked about the grounding issue. Take it apart and redo it. Also reconnect the power and ground at the amp and be sure there are no stray wires hanging out. You most likely have a DMM, so measure resistance on the ground, too. Make sure it is a nice low reading of less than half an ohm to the battery negative. And check the complete length of the power wire to make sure it is insulated and sound, particularly at the spot where it goes through the firewall.
Ok, What is DMM? I'm guessing Digital Multimeter, but correct me if i'm wrong.
More info...
Right now i have 2 amps. The JBL 1201.1   and a JBL BP180.2
The 4 ga wire runs about 7 Ft into a fused dist. block, where it splits into 2 8ga wires of less than a foot each.
Ground wire is in the same point where left stop lights used to make groud (I grounded both stop light on the right side). I scraped the metal clean before grounding.
Ground is a 3 Ft run of 4Gs, into a non-fused block where it splits into 2 8Ga cables for less than a foot.
The JBL 180.2 pounds, with no noticeable dips in voltage (It should draw a max of 40 amps).
The JBL 1201.1 doesn't. I'd say that the sub puts out just a little bit more bass that my 6x9's (Also infinity's).
I'm going to some audio shop tomorrow and ask them to try out another sub with my amp, and then to try out my sub with another amp, to see if i can pinpoint the trouble.
If anybody else has any opinions I'm all ears...
I'll let you know how it all turns out after i'm done testing.
By the way shameless plug -> Yesterday I placed first in category for my local autox event Amp Current Draw with one sub - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
forbidden wrote:
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic